D&D (2024) Was there a collector's edition of the 2014 core books? Do you expect one for the 2024 books?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Given my disinterest in 4E, I maintained a skeptical healthy distance from 5E when it was released, despite all the good initial reports. So I didn't notice (or care) whether the 2014 PHB, MM and DMG had collector's edition books.

But for 2024, the golden anniversary of the game, I'm not just interested, I'm pretty sure I want them.

What do you think the odds are of the 2024 core books getting a collector's edition treatment, and what would you want to see that edition to look like?

darjr

I crit!
Given my disinterest in 4E, I maintained a skeptical healthy distance from 5E when it was released, despite all the good initial reports. So I didn't notice (or care) whether the 2014 PHB, MM and DMG had collector's edition books.

But for 2024, the golden anniversary of the game, I'm not just interested, I'm pretty sure I want them.

What do you think the odds are of the 2024 core books getting a collector's edition treatment, and what would you want to see that edition to look like?
Extremely good. There was a special cover of the core in a boxed set, they came a little later I think.

I think it’s a sure bet there will be a special cover.

Looking at 5e I have no doubt there will be a special edition with alternative cover art

There where special editions for both the 4e and 5e core books.
I do not own the 5e special edition.
But between the 3.5 and 4e special editions, the 3.5 special edition was by far the best.

What made them a such a good special edition is they they where not released close to the original release of 3.5 they where released at 3.5 fifth anniversary, and included all errata.
So if somebody on the table went wait a minute I think they changed that rule, and I could just look up the errata version in my special edition PHB

The 4th edition special edition was released about 2 years after 4e launched, there was plenty of errata out at the time But it was not included in the 4e special edition It was just a re print with a fancy cover.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Note, the 5e special edition boxed set came out 6-7 years after the initial run. But that was because after 4e, I think WotC was a bit gun-shy for a variety of reasons, many of which would argue against a special boxed edition.

OTOH, I think 1D&D they are going to come out of the gate with solid support and fun formats, including a box set within a year of initial release - but maybe not right away... Actually on 2nd thought, if they come out with OneD&D around Christmas time, I bet they do have a box set - and it will probably be a) the best selling D&D product ever from an overall revenue perspective and b) give WotC's D&D division the highest revenue quarter they've ever had.

Remove ads