Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and the old splintering the fan base chestnut...

gyor

Legend
If I understand it correctly, the new book is 1/2 sourcebook on Waterdeep and 1/2 city adventure for levels 1-5.

Wanting to know what all the fuss was about, I picked up the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron on DDB and totally dig it! My new campaign is going to be set in Khorvaire.

Obvious question - why would I buy Dragon Heist?

To me heist theme is fantastic for Eberron, and I suppose adventure portion could be set in Sharn with some serious changes.

Has WOTC said anything about details included in book to help DM's use in other settings?

Not great value for first part of the book though, aside from cherry picking to flesh out Sharn?

You might want to buy Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica's book too then as it is supposed to have tools in it for running urban campaigns.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
You might want to buy Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica's book too then as it is supposed to have tools in it for running urban campaigns.

Great, even more options :confused:

Thinking Eberron AL season might be my best bet, still would like to read Dragon Heist though and see how much work it would be.

gyor

Legend
I'll point that that a lot of people buying Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron maybe doing so to repurpose the races, most of which can be found in FR for example or can be easily placed in FR or a homebrew Setting or Planescape or Starjammer ect...

There MIGHT be some limited player material in Dragon Heist, like say backgrounds.

I do not plan to even consider Dragon Heist. I can't imagine that it isn't tightly coupled to Waterdeep and/or that trying to Sharn-ify it wouldn't be at least as bad as ToD

I would be very surprised if there isn't a fairly substantial section on converting Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage material to both Sharn and Greyhawk City, as both are large cities for their settings with megadungeons below. Sharn especially, given the recent setting guide release...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'll point that that a lot of people buying Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron maybe doing so to repurpose the races, most of which can be found in FR for example or can be easily placed in FR or a homebrew Setting or Planescape or Starjammer ect...

There MIGHT be some limited player material in Dragon Heist, like say backgrounds.

Oh, definitely: given the demographics, their two biggest customer pools are people asking "can I retool this for a homebrew"?" and "can I use this in the FR?"

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I would be very surprised if there isn't a fairly substantial section on converting Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage material to both Sharn and Greyhawk City, as both are large cities for their settings with megadungeons below. Sharn especially, given the recent setting guide release...

Possibly Ravnica as well.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Thinking about it, this is something made easier by the multi-villain approach: maybe a Beholder mobster doesn't fit your setting, but how about a corrupt psycho wizard laying low? Perhaps a family of nobles with a fiendish secret would fit?

Using Eberron and Ravnica material in Waterdeep is just as viable. Most people have gotten used to adapting content and cherrypicking the stuff they like best.

The mistake in the 80s was more about the way the different settings where marketed - each with their own logo applied to supplements and adventures, giving the impression that it was a criminal offence to overlap material.

gyor

Legend
Using Eberron and Ravnica material in Waterdeep is just as viable. Most people have gotten used to adapting content and cherrypicking the stuff they like best.

The mistake in the 80s was more about the way the different settings where marketed - each with their own logo applied to supplements and adventures, giving the impression that it was a criminal offence to overlap material.

I also believe eventually they will encourage moving between Settings even in organized play like they did with Ravenloft and the Forgotten Realms.

Remove ads