D&D 5E Waterdeep: Dragon Heist Post-Mortem (Spoilers)

TheSword

Legend
If you want to scatter some vignettes into a city adventure I do think WFRP does things very well.

It feels like a great deal, if not most, of their adventure writing happens in Urban areas.

In particular Ubersreik Adventures 1 and 2, Shadows over Bogenhafen, Power Behind the Throne and the adventures in their starter set.

UA 1 and 2 for instance, includes…

- Bait and Witch - A set of bounty hunters harassing an apothecary to find a corrupt witch hunter
  • Slaughter at Spittlefield - a newly created vampire spreading the plague in a quarantined tenement
  • Deadly Dispatch - a local courier gives the package to a player character by mistake because they share a similar name. It’s full of necromantic components for illegal magic.
  • Double Trouble - A doppleganger is killing and eating it’s way through a noble’s manor house. PCs invited to stay.
  • Grey Mountain Gold - Dwarves try to raise finance for a hoax expedition to claim an old dwarf hold.
  • The Blessings that Drew blood. Three demons that are trapped in mortal forms are trying to influence the murder of priests in the city to regain their status.

The stories and adventures could easily be statted up for 5e.

Thank you that is good to know! I was definitely looking for a city adventure, not dungeon + city adventure.
It might be worth a google image search of Shackled City Maps. It will give you a good idea of the scale of the dungeons and if it fits your expectation. I’m sure most will be thumbnails but should give you an idea.

ZehirDisciple

Explorer
Not to try to sound gate-keepey, but most Dungeons and Dragons adventures are going to have dungeon-like structures as a big focus. Have you thought about looking at a different system (Blades in the Dark) to get inspiration? Perhaps you can convert some of that content to D&D? If nothing else, seeing how adventures are constructed in a game focused on urban intrigue might help design future adventures in D&D.
Perhaps you missed it, but I am a player not a DM. We are playing 5e and I was looking for ideas to suggest to my DM. I could suggest that to my DM, but it seems like a bit much to put on him.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Perhaps you missed it, but I am a player not a DM. We are playing 5e and I was looking for ideas to suggest to my DM. I could suggest that to my DM, but it seems like a bit much to put on him.

You might still suggest it, if it's the style that you like, it might be the style that he likes as well, and be ready to think about his adventures in a different light, even if based on standard publications. Again, this is what we did for most of the AP that we played through, bypass the heavy dungeons sections through various means (usually trickery).

Remove ads