D&D 5E Way of the Mountain

G

Guest 6801328

Looks quite cool, that level 17 ability reminds me of diablo 3 barbarian set that lets you create an earthquake when you leap.

I drew my inspiration from the Buddha's Palm technique at the end of Kung Fu Hustle. :)

But, yes, probably subconsciously I was thinking of Diablo, even though I haven't played in years.

Something I did when wanting to create a strength monk which lies outside the subclass system, is create an ability at 1st level called "Initiate of the Mountain" which based their unarmoured defence on strength and wisdom (my version of a similar subclass replaced the dex portion as they endured hits rather than dodging them).

Yup, same general idea. I just wanted it to be...different.

G

Guest 6801328

That is exactly what I was thinking--just like the totem warrior.

Not four subclasses--just one with different "ways".

Ah, well that complicates tying the elements to ability scores, because whichever ability score you chose to invest in would then make the non-corresponding choices become less attractive. Maybe at one of the levels the four choices could each key off of a different ability score. But that would conflict with a design goal of letting you swap out your choices when you level, like Warlock Invocations. And it also kind of requires (or, at least, "overly rewards") you for planning ahead when you're making the character.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ah, well that complicates tying the elements to ability scores, because whichever ability score you chose to invest in would then make the non-corresponding choices become less attractive. Maybe at one of the levels the four choices could each key off of a different ability score. But that would conflict with a design goal of letting you swap out your choices when you level, like Warlock Invocations. And it also kind of requires (or, at least, "overly rewards") you for planning ahead when you're making the character.
Yeah, it just depends on how you want to develop it. I can see merit in both concepts. 🤷‍♂️

G

Guest 6801328

Yeah, it just depends on how you want to develop it. I can see merit in both concepts. 🤷‍♂️
Check out the forthcoming Beowulf: Age of Heroes from Handiwork games for an example of a single class ("Hero") with six subclasses, each tied to a different ability score.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Thinking about this all reminds me of Avatar (The Last Airbender and such), of monks with elemental abilities...

Check out the forthcoming Beowulf: Age of Heroes from Handiwork games for an example of a single class ("Hero") with six subclasses, each tied to a different ability score.
I explored that concept a while back when I was trying to parse the game down to six classes:

STR/Warrior
DEX/Rogue
CON/Survivor
INT/Wizard
WIS/Cleric
CHA/Bard

Or something along those lines.

Remove ads