• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WAY OT] What the heck is fish sauce?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Mmm... fish balls....
The weird thing is, ketchup is the direct linear descendant of fish sauce. Travelers took fish sauce back to England, where it was a curiosity until somebody decided to replace fish with pulped tomatoes. And thus was condiment history born.

Demiurge out.

demiurge1138 said:
Mmm... fish balls....
The weird thing is, ketchup is the direct linear descendant of fish sauce. Travelers took fish sauce back to England, where it was a curiosity until somebody decided to replace fish with pulped tomatoes. And thus was condiment history born.

Demiurge out.

Proving my theory once again: English "cooks" can make anything bland.

AuroraGyps

First Post
mmmm corned beef. Much better if you add a few whole peppercorns to the broth while preparing it.

Not only do I add peppercorns (whacked on the cutting board with the flat of a large knife), I add half a small onion and a clove of garlic (also whacked). Mmmm, corned beef... good to make in the summer cause ya don't need the oven. Guess I'll keep an I on grocery flyers now.;)

KidCthulhu

First Post
It should be noted that the whole point of salting the fish is so that the fish ferments but does not rot. The salt prevents putrification. This is an ancient, ancient technique for preserving foodstuffs, and is similar to how soy sauce is made (using soybeans instead of fish) as well as asian pickled vegetables.

Try reading Kurlansky's new book "Salt: A History" if you want to learn more about this than you ever thought possible. A really good read.

Lalato

Adventurer
I live down the street from a section of town affectionately called Little Saigon because there are several Viet and Thai restaurants and groceries in the area. (which is really strange for a place like Orlando, FL).

I remember the first time I encountered fish sauce. We had ordered various rice vermicelli dishes and each of us were given a saucer of fish sauce. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, but I was game to try Viet cuisine so I tasted it and thought it was good. About 5 minutes into eating I started to notice the tell tale smell of a SBD (silent but deadly... as in fart). I thought nothing of it, but the smell persisted. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and I asked, "OK... who farted?" Everyone replied with looks of confused innocence. So then I let my nose do the investigating and it lead me straight to the saucer of fish sauce. From that day forth fish sauce was renamed "Butt Juice". Don't get me wrong... we still use fish sauce, it's quite tasty as others have noted, but man does it pack a strong buttalicious smell. :)

--sam

Aeolius

Adventurer
KidCthulhu said:
Try reading Kurlansky's new book "Salt: A History" if you want to learn more about this than you ever thought possible. A really good read.

Sounds like ispirational reading to help flesh out my salt hags, daughters of sea elves and night hags.

Emiricol

Has anyone here experimented with fish sauce for dishes besides specifically-Asian ethnic dishes? I cook a lot of oriental foods at my house, so I'll give it a try anyway (thanks for all the info!!) but what else have people "successfully" used it on?

Remove ads