[WAY OT] What the heck is fish sauce?

Emiricol

Apparently it is used for cooking, and I've seen the murky bottles at grocery stores, but how it is used? What are the qualities of the flavor? What dishes benefit from fish sauce?

Thanks

Last edited:

7thlvlDM

Explorer
Fish sauce is generally used in oriental cooking (e.g., Vietnamese). I have had it served to me for use on vermicelli (sp?) noodles or just over rice dishes. I believe it is made partly from fish ingredients, hence the name. It is salty, and extremely strong (so you may want to dilute it with water). Some people don't like it because it will make you smell like it all day. I often add large amounts of lemon and sugar to fish sauce when I use it (e.g., as a dipping sauce for spring rolls).

-7thlvlDM

Last edited:

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Fish sauce is made by fermenting salted fish. In fact, you might say that it's salted fish that have rotted until they liquefy. Are you hurling yet? :D Fish sauce is used in Southeast Asian cooking where soysauce would be used in Japanese or Chinese cooking. It's very salty, and a little goes a long way. The Thai make an intense sauce called 'prick nam pla' or 'nam pla prick' that consists of fish sauce, lime juice and hot pepper. It's oh, so wonderful as a dipping sauce for spring rolls and other appetizers. The to-die-for Thai soup Thom Yum Gong also has fish sauce, lime juice and hot peppers in the broth, along with various other things that are nasty by themselves but combine to make a heavenly dish.

Emiricol

Buttercup said:
Fish sauce is made by fermenting salted fish. In fact, you might say that it's salted fish that have rotted until they liquefy. Are you hurling yet? :D Fish sauce is used in Southeast Asian cooking where soysauce would be used in Japanese or Chinese cooking. It's very salty, and a little goes a long way. The Thai make an intense sauce called 'prick nam pla' or 'nam pla prick' that consists of fish sauce, lime juice and hot pepper. It's oh, so wonderful as a dipping sauce for spring rolls and other appetizers. The to-die-for Thai soup Thom Yum Gong also has fish sauce, lime juice and hot peppers in the broth, along with various other things that are nasty by themselves but combine to make a heavenly dish.

Well, the fermented saltfish doesn't bother me. I'm Norwegian, so anything that once swam - pickled, kippered or fermented - is fair game :)

The only Thai I remember is (I think) called Thom Dum. Spicy, delicious! I'm a fan of spicy Asian foods. I'll have to try the soup you mentioned :)

Camarath - thanks for the link!

Angcuru

First Post
Emiricol said:
Well, the fermented saltfish doesn't bother me. I'm Norwegian, so anything that once swam - pickled, kippered or fermented - is fair game :)
Eyes stray to swimming pool in back yard.
:(

Remove ads