• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [+] Ways to fix the caster / non-caster gap

Raiztt

Adventurer
The square cube law refers to the shape of an object and its materials, not being the literal exact same object.
1.) You're just wrong, my dude. It absolutely requires that the only thing that changes is proportion of the object. Otherwise, you're not doing a comparison of a scale up object, you're looking at two completely different objects.
1696006398163.png

2.) Materials being the operative word here. Again, I don't need to assume that a giant is made of the same materials as a human.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The whole thread is about how to Fix D&D 5e - the Gap between Casters and Martials. Introducing races that outpower all other races is not the solution I would go for.
And of course existing game mechanics are the baseline, unless you wanna create a whole new game from scratch.
To try and be succinct: "The solution is to give high level martials abilities that are competitive with high level casters because in a fantasy world even a "normal human" is only limited by plot, not physics."

The square cube law refers to the shape of an object and its materials, not being the literal exact same object. A giant is still man shaped, except for the Fat Joke Hill Giant, which is a rough sphere.
John Rogers got this one right in Blue Beetle specifically calling out the square cube ratio.
View attachment 1696006507726.webp
Which might be why the goliath subraces being tested in UA fairly recently were half Goliath, half Genasi.

Attachments

• 1696006384416.webp
    58.2 KB · Views: 29

mamba

Legend
I think that they define what "humanity" is within the context of their fictional universe.

Making comparisons between a fictional universe and the real one doesn't have a lot of utility.
I disagree with that too, D&D is fundamentally Earth humans in a fantastical setting, just like Game of Thrones or Star Wars (the level of fantastic varies, the humans do not)

Remove ads