• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) We’ll be merging the One D&D and D&D forums shortly

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It will cause confusion because many people don't follow d&d news closely or even at all. You will have 5e users walk in looking for 5e stuff, see d&d 2024 and ignore it because it isn't 5e.
Oh cmon, y'all crack me up. Like folks shop brick and mortar as their primary source of info on consumer goods.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If they were looking to replace their books I think they would just replace them with the most current offering. After all, that's what's on the shelves.

If they weren't looking to replace their books they won't bother replacing their books.
Right, my thoughts as well, which leads to think the new stuff won't be as initially successful as WotC wants, because how many of those new to RPGs with WotC 5e folks actually are looking to replace their books?

Right, my thoughts as well, which leads to think the new stuff won't be as initially successful as WotC wants, because how many of those new to RPGs with WotC 5e folks actually are looking to replace their books?
I think 2025 is the year to look at. Not 2024. Then the word gets spread and all the books are done.

2014 books showed how sustainable the PHBs are. I am very sure 2024 will be great.

That’s certainly one way to temper expectations.
What do you expect?
I think the idea of the revision is sustainability, a marathon, not a sprint.

If they wanted that, they had gone all in on a real 6e. Everyone initially buys a set of the new books like most people did with 4e. Many of them never used the bools though. And they spread word that the new edition is not D&D anymore.

5e sells well because there is a steady number of YOUNG people who are getting into the hobby. Those will buy whatever edition is the current edition. And as long as it resembles 5e 2014, there is nonreason to think that this will change.
The new rules revision and layout update makes sure that the edition does not get outdated and overshadowed by new 5e variants that are just more up to date.
And the people converting initialy (60% even here) will be a nice bonus on top.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not really, no: WotC isn't even talking about it as 2024, they are juat calling it D&D, period. And clearly signaling backwards compatability in a way that will avoid confusion for moat current customers. It's a revision of the modern ruleset.

Who says it doesn't apply? Neither TSR nor WotC were ever clear nor consistent, and currently SotC is simply walking away from the concept entirely.
The editions say it. We have 5 explicit editions that objectively do not take it into consideration. If it did include what you suggest, 3e, 4e and 5e would have had different edition numbers.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Oh cmon, y'all crack me up. Like folks shop brick and mortar as their primary source of info on consumer goods.
The masses of casual folks aren't online researching the changes or even following them. They buy and just play. That's what makes them casual players.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The editions say it.
Inconsistent marketing BS.
objectively
You keep using that word: I do not think that it means what you think that it means.
If it did include what you suggest, 3e, 4e and 5e would have had different edition numbers.
Yes, they would be the fifth edition, the seventh edition, and the 8th/9th edition, respectively, if ovjective markers were being used rather than marketing BS. The BS grew too stinky, so even WotC is leaving the terminology on the trash heap of history.

What I find amusing is that if they call it One D&D or D&D24 or whatever, it ceases to be 5e at all. They will be changing the name of the edition. 5.5e makes the most sense to me.
Again, the game was never One D&D. "One D&D" was a project name for combining of the physical and digital experience.

Also, they are not changing the name of the game, or of the edition. It's D&D. The 5th edition of D&D. Now there are going to be revised 5E core books, sure, but that does not make a new "edition" (as colloquially defined by D&D standards).

I will simply refer to the revised core books as D&D. If I need to reference or call out the 2014 books, I'll refer to them as the 2014 books. If I am pressed to call out the new books, I'll call them the "current" books or the 2024 books.

"5.5" has always been a travesty of a naming convention. It was a cheap attempt to use computer terminology, it was inaccurate, and spawned endless arguments for the community. I'm glad they swept that naming convention into the dustbin of history.

Remove ads