D&D 5E We have a Legends and Lore this week

Will Doyle

Explorer
Characters can be injured, a status effect that kicks in when a PC is reduced to or below a given hit-point threshold. By default, the threshold is 0, though this can be dialed up to 25% or 50% of max hitpoints for a more demanding game, or left out for an easier one. An injured PC has their max hp reduced to half its original value, and can only overcome this status by restful sleep typically found in civilized areas. Sleeping rough while injured cannot restore a PC above half hitpoints.

I prefer this!

Ratskinner

Adventurer
It's important to remember that the heal-to-50% proposal is a starting point for discussion, not the game's final destination. I like the intent of the proposal, and I hope we see something like it in the published game. However, I have a counter-proposal which I believe retains the spirit of Mike's suggestion, but makes more in-game sense.

Characters can be injured, a status effect that kicks in when a PC is reduced to or below a given hit-point threshold. By default, the threshold is 0, though this can be dialed up to 25% or 50% of max hitpoints for a more demanding game, or left out for an easier one. An injured PC has their max hp reduced to half its original value, and can only overcome this status by restful sleep typically found in civilized areas. Sleeping rough while injured cannot restore a PC above half hitpoints.

In the basic or standard game, being injured grants no other penalties, though the players may choose to roleplay how their character is hurt, e.g. by describing how they limp along and grimace with pain if they have to hustle. A lingering wounds module could enhance the injured status, adding rider effects or mentioning different ways to get injured (e.g. a critical hit from a monster 1 or more sizes larger).

That sounds like a very workable system, with many dials for different styles of play. I like it.

Gundark

Explorer
I think this is a terrible idea. For one thing, it doesn't even make sense. People can get a good night's rest when camping or in a cave. What do you think our ancestors did, before there were houses and beds to sleep in? But more importantly, it's a terrible idea from a game design perspective. First level characters can have single digit hp, making them extremely fragile. Now they might end up being stuck with half of that, until they can get back to town. So you can have wizards or rogues with as few as 3 HP after resting. Sure, they can get magical healing, but this is also a terrible idea for that reason. Since characters can't recover more than half of their hp from resting in a dungeon, the cleric (or other healer) is going to have to spend his healing resources first thing in the morning healing everyone from yesterday's injuries.

Yes people can get a good rest while camping, however I wouldn't expect people to get a complete rest while in a dungeon or even in the wilderness when the wilderness has monsters that are attempting to eat you. Our ancestors didn't have to fight off goblis, orcs, ogres, owlbears or what-not.

Dausuul

Legend
It's important to remember that the heal-to-50% proposal is a starting point for discussion, not the game's final destination. I like the intent of the proposal, and I hope we see something like it in the published game. However, I have a counter-proposal which I believe retains the spirit of Mike's suggestion, but makes more in-game sense.

In the basic or standard game, being injured grants no other penalties, though the players may choose to roleplay how their character is hurt, e.g. by describing how they limp along and grimace with pain if they have to hustle. A lingering wounds module could enhance the injured status, adding rider effects or mentioning different ways to get injured (e.g. a critical hit from a monster 1 or more sizes larger).

I like this idea.

urLordy

First Post
Yes people can get a good rest while camping, however I wouldn't expect people to get a complete rest while in a dungeon or even in the wilderness when the wilderness has monsters that are attempting to eat you. Our ancestors didn't have to fight off goblis, orcs, ogres, owlbears or what-not.
I agree, and I wonder if the difference between a complete rest vs a 'dungeon' rest can be situational based on uninterrupted rest?

For example, the party is in a dungeon, and two PCs are on watch, and 4 PCs are resting. The PCs on watch are on alert, and therefore do not qualify for complete rest. The other PCs can fully heal only if they get x hrs of uninterrupted rest, and not if there are any encounters with monsters barging in (randomly or DM adjudicated). This also assumes that the PCs have sufficient food and water and above some threshold (possibly adjusted by Con score) of mental and physical comfort to heal to maximum hit points. OTOH, if the PCs do find a way to achieve security and rest and nutrition for a few days in the middle of a dungeon, then all the power to them.

Same goes for resting in a town. It is assumed by default that the PCs could get uninterrupted rest for a few days, but if they're sleeping in alleyways or being shadowed by assassins, no maximum hp for them.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer

No, they didn't have to worry about goblins, orcs, ogres or owlbears. Instead, they had to worry about lions, tigers, bears, and worst of all, other humans, which can be just as vicious as any of the fantasy creatures you listed.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
No, they didn't have to worry about goblins, orcs, ogres or owlbears. Instead, they had to worry about lions, tigers, bears, and worst of all, other humans, which can be just as vicious as any of the fantasy creatures you listed.

Your analogy is wrong, a better one will be between the adventurers tracking in the wilderness or a dungeon and troops in combat conditions.

Going on a camping trip can be fun, going through hostile territory carrying a rucksack, vest, weapons and ammunition is much different. Ever done something like that? I have and I've been conditioned to it and it wasn't fun or easy.

Warder

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I agree, and I wonder if the difference between a complete rest vs a 'dungeon' rest can be situational based on uninterrupted rest?

For example, the party is in a dungeon, and two PCs are on watch, and 4 PCs are resting. The PCs on watch are on alert, and therefore do not qualify for complete rest. The other PCs can fully heal only if they get x hrs of uninterrupted rest, and not if there are any encounters with monsters barging in (randomly or DM adjudicated). This also assumes that the PCs have sufficient food and water and above some threshold (possibly adjusted by Con score) of mental and physical comfort to heal to maximum hit points. OTOH, if the PCs do find a way to achieve security and rest and nutrition for a few days in the middle of a dungeon, then all the power to them.

Same goes for resting in a town. It is assumed by default that the PCs could get uninterrupted rest for a few days, but if they're sleeping in alleyways or being shadowed by assassins, no maximum hp for them.
This sounds good until you realize that a party with two Elves never has to worry about watching.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Your analogy is wrong, a better one will be between the adventurers tracking in the wilderness or a dungeon and troops in combat conditions.

Going on a camping trip can be fun, going through hostile territory carrying a rucksack, vest, weapons and ammunition is much different. Ever done something like that? I have and I've been conditioned to it and it wasn't fun or easy.

Warder

I never said it was "fun" or "easy," I only said that it can be done, not just by fantasy heroes, but by people in real life.

[Edit] Besides, they never mentioned anything about being stalked or in hostile territory. This rule applies whether you're in danger or not. All you have to be is out in the wilderness, and no full HP for you. So yes, it does apply to "fun" and "easy" camping trips just as much as it does to soldiers in trenches.

urLordy

First Post
This sounds good until you realize that a party with two Elves never has to worry about watching.
That wasn't my point, I don't think. The point is that anyone, elven or not, who has the luxury of uninterrupted rest, qualifies towards healing towards maximum hit points. Anyone who isn't getting uninterrupted rest, because they're on watch or because there are enemy encounters or whatever, cannot heal to max.

Remove ads