We might want to start saving Websites

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
Copy a working formula isn't as easy as it sounds... If TAB got it's hands 100% on the coke formula and put out "I can't believe it's not coke" it still would not sell like Coke does...

Wanting to make a cinematic universe is great... but you can't just copy marvel and make it work, because we already HAVE marvel, you have to be different AND as good.
Salient. Again...

New Coke.

Solauren

Explorer
One also needs to think about something. The leaked version of the OLG that started this mess looked design to give WOTC a monopoly as far as D&D and D&D related games goes. The ability to make money of anyone making money off it, or to shut them down.

Yes, they appear to be backing off somewhat (appear being the key word), but that doesn't mean that's not a goal.

And if I was them, the first step in that monopoly would be getting rid of as much 'free content' as they could. Why buy the cow, when the milk is free?

That would mean shutting down as many websites as quickly as they could. Take down notices are a quick way to do that. Threatening the webhosts of those websites is another. In fact, threatening the web-host would be the best way to do that.

WOTC threatens the web-host, and the web-host can shut down the 'offending website', and tell tell the former operator 'you violated our terms and conditions', and that's that. The website doesn't even have to learn that WOTC is the one that caused it.

Hell, they could release a 'friendly' new OGL, and still pull that. With no free mechanical content (they'll never pull that off with graphics, maps and the like), people will only be able to get paid content.

And to the average person, which is more attractive? Content from the original creators (WOTC), or a 3rd party?
Most of the gamers I know either used free from the web, or WOTC stuff during 3.X, or Paizo if they went to Pathfinder. Most saw my 3rd party collection and looked at me funny for 'wasting money.'

Solauren

Explorer
Added

Come on people, start tossing out websites to backup! I'm hoping to start downloading in the near future and posting the zips online somewhere.

Remove ads