D&D 5E We need a Monster Manual II

BMaC

Adventurer
An interesting consequence of the DM Guild is that the relatively limited number of available monsters in the Monster Manual is now glaring. It is impossible to use some of the fine 3rd party supplements (e.g., Fifth Edition Foes) for material that is going up on the DM Guild. Now that WoTC has given a platform for everyone to publish content, they need to provide some more supporting material. The priorities, it seems to me, that WoTC needs to be working on in terms of content are 1) Monster Manual II and 2) more Forgotten Realms material, particularly detailed information on key cities.

BMaC

Adventurer
There is a potential problem with a DMsGuild, independently written Monster Manual II or "Guide to Silverymoon." They could be instantly invalidated if WoTC officially releases something in print. It's a disincentive for anyone to actually write such a guide, and it's a disincentive for anyone to purchase such a guide. I don't want to spend months writing something if there's a chance that it will be invalidated. This is why the DMsGuild currently has lots of adventures and supplements for characters (feats and such) but not world source material.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
An interesting consequence of the DM Guild is that the relatively limited number of available monsters in the Monster Manual is now glaring. It is impossible to use some of the fine 3rd party supplements (e.g., Fifth Edition Foes) for material that is going up on the DM Guild. Now that WoTC has given a platform for everyone to publish content, they need to provide some more supporting material. The priorities, it seems to me, that WoTC needs to be working on in terms of content are 1) Monster Manual II and 2) more Forgotten Realms material, particularly detailed information on key cities.

I think the idea is that you create new material on DMs Guild.

BMaC

Adventurer
I think the idea is that you create new material on DMs Guild.

Yes, agreed, but see my point above about the potential disincentive for creating source/monster material. To develop those points further, there's nothing to stop multiple authors from publishing Monster Manuals. It could easily be the case that there are two DMsGuild products that are both guides to Baldur's Gate that contradict each other. Or there could be multiple versions of monsters not yet in 5e print. Not an ideal situation.

Remove ads