D&D 5E We need a Monster Manual II

werecorpse

Adventurer
I vote for a "fiend folio" comprised of a bunch of fan created monsters and a monster manual 2 (and maybe even 3) with in house monsters from adventures and other previous versions of D&D.
- just like the AD&D 1e books

(Whaddaya mean my vote doesn't count?)

Seriously the thing I want most from WOTC is a monster book, then a player book, then a DM's book - expanding all that has come before. I'm happy to get them slowly but I think it's time for the monster book.

CapnZapp

Legend
I really hope you're wrong about that. Monsters spread out across a bunch of books might as well not exist.
If you mean you prefer collections of monsters in books specifically made for that purpose, such as manuals of monsters, then that's okay.

But I think WotC disagrees with you. While I do think there will be a second manual of monsters someday, the release schedule moves much slower for this edition.

And when you factor in that every adventure path has taken the opportunity to parcel out a handful of especially appropriate monsters, well...

I simply think the mindset "I need a MM2 and I need it NOW" can be put in the same place as "I need a Fighter's Manual NOW" or "I need a book of Arcane Spells NOW", namely the waste basket.

Not because these ideas are bad, but because they simply aren't in touch with how WotC is running 5th edition: "every supplement needs to sell to every player, so lets only give'em one at a time".

Uder

First Post
The only thing about an MM2 that's at odds with WotC's (perceived) strategy IMO is that it would be hard to tie into a multimedia event. Similar to SCAG I guess. The release would need to be an event to itself or piggyback another event in some way. As for shared experiences... they just look at DM's Guild sales data on monster conversions and concentrate on the most popular, maybe even make some of those conversions official.

If you mean you prefer collections of monsters in books specifically made for that purpose, such as manuals of monsters, then that's okay.

But I think WotC disagrees with you. While I do think there will be a second manual of monsters someday, the release schedule moves much slower for this edition.

And when you factor in that every adventure path has taken the opportunity to parcel out a handful of especially appropriate monsters, well...

I simply think the mindset "I need a MM2 and I need it NOW" can be put in the same place as "I need a Fighter's Manual NOW" or "I need a book of Arcane Spells NOW", namely the waste basket.

Not because these ideas are bad, but because they simply aren't in touch with how WotC is running 5th edition: "every supplement needs to sell to every player, so lets only give'em one at a time".

Yet we've seen it reported several times that the most requested type of book is another MM-type book - wanted over adventures, settings, and player/DM options-type accessories. Surely even a company that is sticking to its planned release policy in the most stringent manner would have to be tempted to fill that sort of demand...

badula

First Post
i don't like the DMGuild format where i have A LOT of several document with 3-6 monsters... it's REALLY uncomfortable when it comes to select the right monster for the next adventure!

ATM for example i had to create a new monster for a player
Brightwing
wich is a modified faerie dragon....
i'm still not sure how it will develop during adventures (14 hp means instadeath after a while)

Last edited:

Remove ads