We saw a Star War! Last Jedi spoiler thread

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Of course Luke was strong enough to kick Vader in, he just didn't expect to be on the receiving end of the old mans on-going chain lighting. So to say he was never strong isn't true.

Huh? No, that's what made him weak. You're, like, reading the exact opposite of the conversation we're having.

Strong in this conversation isn't "good at lightsaber fighting", it's "good at resisting the dark side". He beat Vader with anger. The dark side. He's weak.

RotGrub

First Post
I think I can live with Luke's fate in this movie. Of course, there are were far too many other problems.

When the purple haired aposematic from the Hunger Games made an entrance and unloaded several plot hole turds, I lost interest rather quickly. It was at that point that I realized I wouldn't return to see the Last Jedi as I had intended.

RotGrub

First Post
Huh? No, that's what made him weak. You're, like, reading the exact opposite of the conversation we're having.

Strong in this conversation isn't "good at lightsaber fighting", it's "good at resisting the dark side". He beat Vader with anger. The dark side. He's weak.

I disagree

When it came time to jump off the cliff into the dark side, he resisted by not killing his farther. He lowered his weapon, and that's why the emperor had to kill him. He rested being turned to the dark side. Which is a very different thing than giving in to its temptations.

RotGrub

First Post
Not executing your helpless dad isn’t strong. It’s the normal human condition. How many people do you know who have not executed their dads? I’m at a 100%:0% ratio myself!

Beating him to a pulp before deciding not to execute him? That’s pretty dark side.

It's like, not killing Hitler, who is your father.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's an interesting way to view the same set of events. My version is -- he *immediately* gave into temptation and attacked the Emperor after, like, two sentences, was stopped by his dad, beat his dad to a pulp as a consequence, finally managing to resist executing his beaten dad lying helpless before him, before getting his ass totally kicked with trivial effort by the Emperor. Then his dad suddenly changed sides and saved his ass, otherwise he'd be dead.

The throwing away of the light saber was NOT about executing his dad or not, but rather it was to symbolize that the dark side had failed to consume him. Luke had been in the grip of the dark side right before that moment, but had the strength that both Palpatine and Vader did not, and threw off the dark side yoke and proceeded down the path of light. That heroic victory is not lessened by the fact that a fledgling Jedi wasn't as strong in the force or as skilled as as two dark side masters. It's actually enhanced by that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The throwing away of the light saber was NOT about executing his dad or not, but rather it was to symbolize that the dark side had failed to consume him. Luke had been in the grip of the dark side right before that moment, but had the strength that both Palpatine and Vader did not, and threw off the dark side yoke and proceeded down the path of light. That heroic victory is not lessened by the fact that a fledgling Jedi wasn't as strong in the force or as skilled as as two dark side masters. It's actually enhanced by that.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. My ‘version’ was unduly hard on him — it was an attempt to illustrate how the same set of events can be spun completely differently.

While I still maintain he wasn’t nearly as heroic as often claimed, he certainly isn’t as weak as that narrative suggests.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Oh, don’t get me wrong. My ‘version’ was unduly hard on him — it was an attempt to illustrate how the same set of events can be spun completely differently.

While I still maintain he wasn’t nearly as heroic as often claimed, he certainly isn’t as weak as that narrative suggests.

Absolutely. The "strength" Luke found at the end of RotJ was that he first failed and then turned away. He succumbed to the Dark Side before having his epiphany and rejecting it.

Which is good storytelling, and a good character.

What's confusing to me is the number of people that then think that Luke's moment of weakness that he then rejects with Ben Solo is so abhorrently out of character. It's the same folly he's always shown -- jump, then regret -- only this time it went rather badly for him. This time, the other didn't recant the Dark Side, and instead defeated Luke. Like so many things in TLJ, it takes the events of the OT and spins them around to present essentially the same thing with one crucial difference. Luke has a momentary flirtation with the Dark Side with Vader, but manages to pull back. This act of mercy redeems Vader. With Ben Solo, though, Luke's flirtation with the Dark Side in his immediate rage to strike down his failure doesn't get a happy ending like it did with Vader. It's the same tale, only with a change in the outcome.

Luke survives this, but does so broken. His failure, and it is his failure with him reacting with rage and fear and Dark for a moment, is what so scares him that he runs away and cuts himself off from the force. It why he's so aghast at Rey peering into the Dark Side so readily -- he sees the same power he had so easily tempted by the Dark Side. It all fits into a circle, and none of it is "out of character" for Luke. Unless, of course, you've built up your own set of myths surrounding Luke.

And, as an aside, the "plan" to rescue Han is a travesty of really horrible ideas. That it works can only be laid at the feet of moviemaking and not any genius on Luke's part. He has an inside man, but his plan is to get Leia also inside by imprisoning Chewbacca. Then he gives the droids to Jabba, for reasons, hoping that turns out okay in the end. He can't even tell 3PO the plan at all, so he's of zero help in the plan, yet he's sent. At this point, with Chewie in jail, Lando as a guard, and Leia hidden in the retinue and the droids in service to a powerful underworld figure they can't attack outright, the plan becomes have Leia, by herself, release Han from the carbonite and sneak him out? Where do that leave Chewie and the droids? That failed, Luke marches in and starts a fight. Sure, it all works out in the end, and Luke plays a good part, but no part of that plan, given the skills and resources at play, works out as remotely good. It was a classic 'Jedi walks into a fight and miraculously lucky things happen' plan, which isn't a good one.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Luke was always a whiny hothead who made the wrong choice. Anybody who thinks he was something else really needs to watch the movies again. Luke’s depiction here is perfectly in character.

Luke was a "whiny" hot head until he finally put it all together in Return of the Jedi, which by the way worst title ever? The Jedi didn't even return long enough to make it in the next movie. If you think E4, E5, and E6 Luke are the same I must have been watching different movies.

That is my biggest issue, I can't see how the original 6 movies meant anything at this point since they have torn it all down. All the "heroes" that I cheered for ended up being kind of lame and failures. More sad than anything. Just wish they could have created a new Star Wars saga without needing to burn the old one down. But this is JJ Abrams.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
But this is JJ Abrams.

Nope. This is continuing to use and reuse characters and settings beyond when their original stories were wrapped up. It was ultimately true of the EU stuff as well in which the characters barely got a chance to reap the benefits of their heroism, just the details were different.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Luke was a "whiny" hot head until he finally put it all together in Return of the Jedi, which by the way worst title ever? The Jedi didn't even return long enough to make it in the next movie. If you think E4, E5, and E6 Luke are the same I must have been watching different movies.
Of course he grew, no one's claiming otherwise, but he didn't become a wise Jedi on-screen in any of them. He was still a hot-headed risk taker in RotJ, as evidenced by the continual set of risks he ran from Jabba's Palace through Endor to the confrontation with Vader and the Emperor. None of that was what a calm, collected, and centered Jedi Master would choose to do.

The argument you're making here doesn't deflect from the fact that Luke of teh OT isn't how you (and others) keep trying to portray him: as someone who would never have a moment of weakness.

That is my biggest issue, I can't see how the original 6 movies meant anything at this point since they have torn it all down. All the "heroes" that I cheered for ended up being kind of lame and failures. More sad than anything. Just wish they could have created a new Star Wars saga without needing to burn the old one down. But this is JJ Abrams.

Torn down?

How so? The Jedi Order is still going on, the New Republic still exists, if badly hurt, and there's still a chance that the son of Han and Leia will turn back to the light (I'm not sure what I hope about this, honestly). Did you really want a trilogy where everything was as awesome as you imagined it, with Han and Leia being happily-ever-aftering and Luke being a kick-ass Jedi Master at the head of a new Jedi Order? What, praytell, do you think would the conflict be? With all of the superheroes around, what could possibly function as a suitable crisis? Invasion from outside the galaxy (obviously EU sarcasm is obvious)?

To tell a hero's story, the hero has to fail at some point. They have to face that failure and overcome. We can't have the cast of the OT be perfect from the get go, they needed to be in crisis to tell a compelling story. Anything else leaves them as utterly fake. So, Han's crisis is his son. He rises to the occasion by reaching out to Ben, and dies for it (and I'm pretty sure he knew that was a likely outcome, so double points). Leia's crisis is the Republic. It has to be in jeopardy for her to have something to fight for. She rises to the occasion and doesn't back down. Luke's crisis is himself, as it's always been. And he rises to that occasion and shows that he's truly earned the title Jedi Master only at the end of TLJ, where he accepts himself finally.

So, no, the OT isn't burned down, because what was built in the OT wasn't those institutions, but rather characters -- characters who were and are flawed, and yet still show up for the job. I love Luke far more now than I ever did, because he was flawed but still showed up. Han, too. His death coming from walking towards pain and danger instead of running away was awesome -- a really summation of the movement he started in E4. And Leia, Leia is the least changing of all of them. She always fought, and she's still fighting, and I am deeply saddened that we'll never see the culmination of her arc the way it should have been. I have a feeling it was moving towards her giving the fight to others to carry, to finally resting. Also, I really, really hate that Google thinks Leia is misspelled. Everything the OT built is here, and these characters cannot breathe the honest and painful way they do without it. Don't think that the OT is some institution of victory or happily-ever-after because it's not. It's about characters and their journey, not their destination. This new trilogy is closing the journeys of those characters, and providing endings they earned along the way.

Remove ads