• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weak wizard - strong wizard

AllisterH

First Post
I'm curious....Factoring out fiction based on D&D, (regular WOTC/TSR fiction and stuff like Feist's Pug), who would you consider the inspiration for the "starts as weak/weaker than a commoner" and then becomes world-shaking character?

I know this is common in anime (see any shonen hero) but what about in Western fiction?

Tewligan

First Post
Eh, I think it's just a D&Dism with no real literary precedent. All the pre-D&D classic wizard types I can think of - those in the works of Howard, Vance, Leiber, Tolkien, etc - are mysterious and powerful right off the bat. Starting out weak was, I believe, just necessary to balance the magic-user against the other classes until the higher levels.

Hm - although, I seem to recall that wizards in the Earthsee series do start out kind of weak...

Ariosto

First Post
I think the whole scheme, across all classes, primarily serves a game purpose. The "coming of age" story seems to me not to figure much in the fictional sources Gygax commonly cited as inspiration, and the spell-caster as protagonist even less. The "sword and sorcery" genre was (and yet remains, I think) one preeminently of swordsman-hero versus sorcerer-villain.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I don't think it comes from fiction. If it does, then the Earthsea books do seem like a very strong contender. In what other stories prior to 1974 do we see a wizard's life journey, with him learning and progressing in power? Sparrowhawk was the Harry Potter of the Woodstock era.

Last edited:

Ariosto

First Post
A Wizard of Earthsea, along with its sequels, really does stand out. Norton explored magic a bit in her tales of the Witch World, and Bradley the "sufficiently advanced technology" of Darkover -- but the professional enchanter as central, viewpoint character (especially one met before he had passed the portals of the School, much less grown the gray beard of an arch-mage) was pretty novel.

Elric, of course, is well versed in the magical arts of his people, but as I recall those that figure most in his saga are his prerogatives as heir to the Ruby Throne -- and he is by far more (in)famous for the carnage he wreaks with his ebon blade.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads