• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons you wished you'd see sometimes.

Nightdawn

First Post
It seems like a lot of the people I've played with, or run games for, always seem to stick with the same few weapons. I think I've only ever had one player pick something that wasn't a longsword, battle axe, scimitar, or rapier.

Why does this happen? Where's the love for the spears, or dual-wielding handaxes?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Halberd! It's mechanically strong, and it's off the beaten path.

But no. Everyone's gotta get a spiked chain.

-- N

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Longsword I can understand to an extent, but lately everyone and his brother has either a rapier or a spiked chain.

I'd like to see some variation.

Tetsubo

First Post
The one weapon I want to just vanish from the multiverse is the Spiked Chain...

I'd like to see more use of polearms. Both the halberd and the glaive need more play...

Scraht

First Post
I think my next character might us a double-sword for the flavor of it...

On that thought.... I've never heard of anyone using a double-sword.

Larcen

Explorer
Nifft said:

-- N

No one in our group has ever taken a spiked chain. Just on principle.

awayfarer

First Post
Nifft said:

-- N

I had a character who used a halberd. He lived roughly half-a-session. Not that it was directly because of the halberd, but, maybe theres a curse? :)

Black_Swan

First Post
I'm currently playing a character that wields a trident and net...it's fun...but as a fighter I sometimes feel like I should have just taken a two handed weapon for damage, or polearm for reach.

I constantly hear: "You would be doing more damage if you had specialized in a [Insert 2 handed weapon here] instead..."

Although it did come in handy for fighting a group of baddies in a windmill. They were peppering us with arrows from the second story so I climbed up the rough stone wall, jumped into the window..tossed my net on one of them, won the strength check, and dove back out the window. Luckily i was tough enough to survive the fall..and my enemy was not. =)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads