• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weekly Armageddon 2089 developer's diary

MongoosePaul

First Post
The previous diary entry can be found here:
http://www.mortality.net/board/read.php?TID=4783

The 30%
With the decision made to ramp up the text and art for the book, we had to fill it. Firstly we commissioned more artwork to illustrate the additional sections and to further intensify the style of the book, and then we started to expand on the notes I’d made for the increases. The background to the game has been largely increased, now covering more of the world, expanded information on the 21st Century and the course of the war. Culture, media and the simple day to day life of the inhabitants of 2089 have been further expanded to ensure players and Games Masters can get into the feel of the world at war.

August Hahn wrote, among many other things, a massive series of news articles that are inserted throughout the book – these further help to add to the feel of the setting, as well as including a great many potential scenario hooks. The course of the war to date was mapped out – drawing on existing military doctrine and expected actions on behalf of the major players, the latter also being further detailed to include some of the movers and shakers of the World of 2089.

With the feel of the setting expanded, we also added to the guidelines for Games Masters and players alike, offering more information and help on running games in 2089, both ‘typical’ games involving WarMek pilots and the options on non-WarMek campaigns. Additions to the rules came in the way of an increased section on Information Warfare, negotiation and the poisons, drugs and diseases available or contractible in the setting. Given who wrote them, we’re pretty confidant that the latter are 100% medically accurate in terms of what some of the nastier viruses and bugs can do to people, using the d20 system.

As even that extra 30% began to feel tight, we went into more depth on role-playing characters from the three major settings of the Armageddon War – The European Federation, America and the UK.

The following are a snippet from the section on the USA in 2089, followed by a portion of one of the news reports by August and then as a bonus, a link to one of the pictures for a WarMek pilot by Matthew Scott.

The below is taken from the section on the USA in the World of 2089 chapter.

The Armageddon War came as a shock to the United States. Its government was content to let corporate interests dictate foreign policy for decades and did not quite understand the extent to which Europe had come to resent and even detest their successes. Even when it intervened on behalf of the Separatists in the British War of Independence, most Americans did not understand how far things had changed since the bygone days of undisputed American dominance. Consequently, the USA suffers from delayed culture shock. The ongoing war is a wakeup call that has begun to stir the sleeping colossus. For too long, America retreated beneath its missile defence shield and shut out the world. It can no longer do that and the consequences of its renewed interest in the wider world could have repercussions no one can now predict.

IWN News Brief: Give Us Five Minutes, We’ll Give You The World.
Date: May 9, 2088
Keywords: Commander, Legal Suit, Tak, Time-Parker, WarMek, Which WarMek Magazine
The well respected industry journal Which WarMek? magazine came under legal fire today when Time-Parker, the corporate sponsor of rival publication Mek Ops, brought suit against it claiming that its reviewers and reporters have been on the payroll of Tak Industries for over a year. Citing the unilaterally glowing reviews and editorial spotlights the magazine has published concerning Tak Industries products like the Commander field Mek, Time-Parker has also produced financial records and a ‘reliable inside source’ to substantiate their claim.

Which WarMek? spokeswoman Elanor Abbey has denied the allegations. In a press release given this afternoon, she notes that Time-Parker’s market shares have dropped considerably since the release of her company’s periodical and that this entire affair is an unfounded attempt to discredit a clearly superior product and the honest, hard working people behind it. Media correspondents from outside either camp have yet to give any indication how the market is reacting to these allegations, but Tak Industries has issued a flat denial of any wrong doing and will not comment further on the matter.
IWN: Complete Coverage Without Corporate Sponsorships

Scout Officer, WarMek pilot by Matthew Scott

http://home.clara.net/vita/mekscout.jpg

Next week I'll preview some of the rules for Armageddon, and start to show off the gorgeous CGI artwork in the book.

Last edited:

MEG Hal

First Post
Cool, do you have any web pages for Arm 2089 yet or logos for that matter, if so post website here and please e-mail me some logos for the new site :p . Can't wait to see the next teaser.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Impressive, most impressive!

From my distributor i received the following information:

[MGP 1201] EARTH 2089 (sourcebook) $45
(304 pages, B&W, HC) March Release

[MGP 1202] WAR MACHINES OF 2089 $25
(128 pages, B&W, SC) March Release

What i'm wondering is how accurate is this information, obviously the main rulebook is full color, but is the pagecount correct? And the rest of the info? I'm guessing that the final word count will be around 260,000 words?

As for minis, the folks at Reaper Minis use 3D prints of 3D designed Mechs (CAV), Greg Bear makes most of them. As you already have the 3D renderings of the models i'm guessing that you also have the 3D Models (in whatever #D app they where made), then making a 3D print of those Mechs shouldn't be to difficult.

Mystic Eye

First Post
Being privy to the material via our license agreement with the Mongoose I can tell you, I have read the material for the main book and this is going to be a hot game! Very slick rules, awesome stuff and the art samples I have seen....Simply WOW.

MongoosePaul

First Post
re: Is this correct

Not quite - the first book is Armageddon 2089: Total War, Earth 2089 is a supplement appearing the following month. The page count is right but it's not black and white, it's colour throughout, as all the sourcebooks will be.

Remove ads