• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Weird Monk Mentality?

hawkeyefan

Legend
It sounds to me like you may not like the class on a conceptual level, but it sounds like you're having fun with it in practice. I think you've hit on one of the big questions monks have to tackle....they're highly mobile, deal solid damage, and have lots of utility options....but they're not overly durable, and they tend to wind up putting themselves in danger.

I think you're experiencing what you likely should when playing a monk!

That mask is very powerful indeed, especially in the hands of a class that relies on short rest mechanics for a bulk of their options like the monk.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I played a shadow monk up to level 8 before he met his untimely death. If you think monks were all over the map before, it's even moreso when you have shadowstep :) I really liked the utility. I could either go in and try to stunlock everyone, or decide to "na na na! you can't hit me" via dodging, or both, depending on what was more appropriate for the situation.

Pandaemoni

First Post
I agree that the flavor of the monk does, at least in its origins, seem strangely eastern. In AD&D that seemed more jarring than it does now, since in AD&D the basic classes all felt more grounded in western European legend and history than they do now. Now, when every class either is magical or has magical options. Monks feel less out of place to me now than they did then. The only exception is that you'd think there'd be a variant monk toiied to the worship of a deity...as that is western "monk" and that trope is easier to build as a unarmored cleric.

Remove ads