Welcome to the Game-Night Kitchen!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Caprese:

3 ripe Roma tomatoes
1 ball of Mozzerella cheese (@ the size of a chicken egg)
Basil (dry will work, fresh cut leaves will be better)
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Sea salt or Lemon juice
Black pepper, ground

Clean & slice your tomatoes thin. Do likewise with your Mozzerella. Place on plate in alternating layers.

Sprinkle with basil. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with ground black pepper, and either salt or a drizzle of lemon juice.

Serve.

Tasty, refreshing, and scalable.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Quick little snack I discovered today:

Club (or Ritz) crackers drizzled with Louisiana Hot Sauce- not Tabasco*- topped with a sliver of oven-baked ham. The combo of salt, sweet, and spice is quite tasty.

* My hot sauce of choice is Tabasco, but Louisiana Hot Sauce has a slightly milder heat and a sweeter vinegar than most hot sauces I've tried.

My favorite spaghetti sauce recipe.
This makes allot and I have a deep skillet, so you might want to cut it down.

Ingredients.
1 Pound lean hamburger
3 bell peppers
1 purple onion
2 cans mild diced chillies
Jalapeños
banana peppers
garlic powder
crushed red pepper
1 can spaghetti sauce

I normally grate the onion and peppers. Mix the vegetables with the raw hamburger, and add the seasonings, then and cook it until brown. Drain the liquid and then add the sauces and simmer it while you cook your noodles.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just finished making (and eating) a meal of steamed lobster tails and boiled mini-potatoes.

Got the 4-5oz tails for @$5 each, and steaming took just about 8min per pot full, and melting the butter took bout 3 minutes on low in the microwave, so the slow part was the potatoes. Pretty quick meal.

The fun part, though, was that I put about 1/4-1/2 of a lemon plus a few sprinkles of Tabssco in my butter for a truly transformative dipping experience.

[sblock=Cheesy Broccoli Casserole]Ingredients

This scrumptious spring side dish with its crunchy topping and cheesy filling is a Kraft Kitchens’ Favorite.
Prep: 10 min. Total: 40 min.

1 pkg. (6 oz.) Stove To Stuffing Mix of Chicken
2 pkg. (10 oz. each) frozen broccoli florets, thawed, drained
1 can (10 ¾ oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup Cheez Whiz Cheese Dip

Procedure

Preheat oven to 350 F. prepare stuffing mix as directed on package, using only # Tbsp. butter. Set aside.
Mix remaining ingredients in 2-qt. baking dish; top with stuffing.
Bake 30 min. or until heated through.

Makes 8 servings, ¾ cup each.[/sblock]

Here's two from Chaos at the wotc Forums

[sblock=WizO_Chaos' Marvelous Meatloaf]This meatloaf is so good, my kids scarf it down, my mother-in-law calls a few days in advance and says "I'm coming over on Thursday, can we have meatloaf?"

Now, there are 6 people in our immediate family. One meatloaf will usually feed all of us and Christopher's mother when I also make a BIG bowl of homemade mac and cheese.

If we want cold meatloaf sandwiches the next day, or leftovers for lunches at work, I'll make two. They can easily and quickly be done at the same time.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp sage
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1.5 - 2 lbs ground beef (lower fat content the better or it will cook away to nothing)
Topping (recipe below)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and have a 13x9 inch pan waiting
Mix the eggs and milk in a medium size bowl
Add in the onion and bread crumbs, and herbs. Mix well
Add the ground beef and mix well using hands (take off rings before doing this )

After mushing it together well, dump it into the pan and shape it into a loaf shape. Longer is better since it will cook more evenly.

Bake for 50 minutes. (Set a timer )

Meanwhile in a measuring cup, combine 1/4 cup ketchup, 2 Tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp prepared mustard.
When 50 minutes is up, take pan out and pour off the grease into heat resistant container. (Be CAREFUL - this can be heavy and HOT)
Spoon topping over the loaf and spread evenly.

Put back into oven and bake for another 10 minutes.

Take out of oven, slice and serve. It goes REALLY good with home made macaroni and cheese (not that nasty boxed stuff)

The sauce is the key to this meatloaf. The sage and thyme are great, but when mixed with the sweet and sourness of the sauce ..oh it's SO good![/sblock]

[sblock=WizO_Chaos' Famous Homemade Brownies]Ingredients
1/2 cup good quality powder cocoa (any brand will do in a pinch)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter - softened (marg will do, but will NOT be anywhere near the same - I wholeheartedly recommend using unsalted butter)
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Grease and line a 9x9 baking dish with aluminum foil. I use my old square Corningware dish.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cocoa powder and the sugar, mix well.
Add the melted butter and stir.
Add eggs and vanilla.
Beat with mixer on low-medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
Add the sifted AP flour and salt.
Beat with mixer on low speed til flour is all combined into the batter.
Then Beat on medium-high for 3-5 minutes. The finished batter will show a change in color slightly to a light brown as the air is whipped into it.

Pour into prepared pan and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
It's done when fork test comes out moist and crumbly - not liquid looking. But don't overbake.
Take brownies out of pan using the aluminum liner, immediately. Let them set on a cutting board for about 5 minutes, then cut into squares.

They do NOT need icing.[/sblock]

[sblock=CHICKEN PEPPERONI]1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/3 stick butter
5 slices pepperoni (for each breast)
3+ slices Monterey Jack cheese

Run chicken under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
Lay out flat on a sheet of wax paper.

In a baking square pan or casserole dish, melt 1/3 stick of butter. Take out. Put 3 slices of pepperoni and 3 slices of Monterey Jack cheese in the middle of chicken. Roll chicken up.

Put 2 slices of pepperoni on top. Stick toothpicks to hold together.

Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

When done, put a couple more slices of cheese on top. Can use Mozzarella cheese or other cheese. Shredded cheese may be used instead of slices - just sprinkle on as much as you like.

Makes 4 servings.[/sblock]

[sblock=CROCK POT ROOT BEER BARBECUE CHICKEN]
What You’ll Need:
4 – 5 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, thawed
18 oz. Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Barbecue Sauce
1/2 Can of Root Beer {approx. 6 oz.}
1/8 Tsp. Salt
1/8 Tsp. Pepper
Crockpot
What You’ll Do:

Cook chicken in crockpot on high for 3 hours {covered}
After 3 hours, drain juices from crockpot
Mix together BBQ Sauce, Root Beer, Salt and Pepper
Pour mixture over chicken, and cook on high for 30 more minutes {covered} [/sblock]

[sblock= THE BEST CHICKEN FRIED STEAK]
INGREDIENTS:
4 (1/2 pound) beef cube steaks
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable shortening for deep
frying

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
kosher salt and ground black pepper to
taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Pound the steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness. Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, Tabasco Sauce, and garlic. Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Pat the flour onto the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.
2. Heat the shortening in a deep cast-iron skillet to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Fry the steaks until evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to drain. Drain the fat from the skillet, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid and as much of the solid remnants as possible.
3. Return the skillet to medium-low heat with the reserved oil. Whisk the remaining flour into the oil. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to release solids into the gravy. Stir in the milk, raise the heat to medium, and bring the gravy to a simmer, cook until thick, 6 to 7 minutes. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Spoon the gravy over the steaks to serve.[/sblock]

[sblock=LOVE BIRDS - CHICKEN IN PASTRY]
Ingredients
4 pieces skinless chicken breast, boned (about 8 ounces each)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 to 3 sprigs fresh finely chopped rosemary
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 sheet puff pastry (11 by 17-inch), (recommended: Dufour)
8 slices Italian fontina cheese, slices should be 2 to 3-inches square and 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick, cut in 1/2
1/2 cup fig preserves
1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Season the chicken with salt, pepper and rosemary. Cut each piece of chicken in half across the breast giving you 8 equal portions. Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly brown the chicken on both sides, 5 minutes total. Remove from heat.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut pastry into 8 pieces. Place a piece of cheese on each pastry square and top with spoonfuls of fig preserves and the chicken pieces. Pinch and seal the dough up and over the meat and cheese, seal with egg wash, flip the pastry packets over and brush the tops with remaining egg wash. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden.

For entree portions, simply leave chicken breast whole and cut the pastry into quarters. Trim off excess dough and use it to decorate the pastry with small cut outs such as heart shapes. [/sblock]

Remove ads