D&D (2024) Welcome to the Grognards

MrTemplar

Villager
GROGNARDS UNITE! It is time to break out the classics and form RPG VOLTRON!

200px-DungeonMasterGuide4Cover.jpg

Gamma_World_Book.jpg

Knight_Hawks%2C_Star_Frontiers.jpg

220px-Paranoia2nd.jpg

View attachment 273854

RPG_Ghostbusters_cover.jpg

449HC-Original-Palladium-1st-Ed-Foil-Hardcover.jpg

tsr-marvel-super-hero-rpg-FASERIP-2.jpg

866px-call_of_cthulhu_rulebook_2nd_edition.jpg

Powers_%26_Perils%2C_boxed_set.jpg
You included Power and Perils but not Runequest or Traveller? :unsure:

Clint_L

Hero
Am I a grognard because even though I mostly play 5e these days, I wince inside whenever someone makes a paladin with a charisma less than 17?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
They are changing D&D and you don't like it!

Why are they catering to some new market!? What about me the current and long time fan??? Obviously it will fail!

Adding in things I never thought to associate with D&D like combat wheelchairs microtransactions?!?!

What is this easy mode? What next? You can Raise the dead with level 1 spells? Everyone regens full HP after combat? Save Points??!?!?!?!

What next? Weird new characters with weird gear that make no sense to me at all! I've played a Catgirl Half-Vampire Paladin Fairy Princess Rogue for 4 years and we don't need anything better! It works just fine!

What next? They change classes to vocations? It was fine before! Just a few people didn't like it and they are an internet based minority! Classes has worked forever!

This is obviously the death of D&D. I should know I've been playing for 1 5 10 15 20 plus years, so I know this new fangled One D&D with it's weird new AI DMs and young(er) players and it's weird new AI Virtual Beyond rules will not stand.

I'll just keep playing real D&D, those youths can have their failing unrecognizable Pro-Corporate HASBRO version. They better not make a sad clown character who hates the youths named Roll20 or something in one of their books!

If I wanted to play WoW, I'd play WoW.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

BTW the OGL Hasbro stuff is BS, this is just poking fun about how things move in circles. I can recall from a year ago when fans were telling other fans "The future is now, old man!" "It's a new generation with new needs!" And Hasbro is banking on a new new generation to fill the coffers. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

As long as you have your books, you can play D&D however you like. I still play AD&D. Plan to play some retro clones (Castles & Crusades look fun and easy). I sometimes play some 5E. I might even play some 6E (or whatever). I'll probably play other games entirely (you really should branch out if you haven't yet).

It will be fine. Even if Classic D&D changes and changes to something you barely recognize. You still have your books, and while the current ed may be easier to find a group for, there are still people out there willing to play the older eds. You want 3E or 5E or 1E, you can find those games, and even easier thanks to the internet.

Welcome to the Grognards. I hope you brought your own dice.

😉
We've got fun and games...

Remove ads