Welcome to the Halmae (updated 2/27/07)

Aneul

First Post
Happy birthday Fajitas (first year I've been around to say this- now I feel like an honest to goodness Halmae fan), and its great to see an update (and a very good one at that), Spyscribe!

From me too

Happy Birthday Fajitas (belated as it may be) and happy Storyversary Spyscribe (thanks for the new word Len).
Good to see a new update (and a good one again as expected), although sad to see the drop in frequency, despite the good reason for that (congrats on the new job Spyscribe)

dpdx

Explorer
I have to say that, given the state of the Darine Confederacy at this point in the story, including a brewing war between pro- and anti-arcane, Kettenek enforcing neutrality among the Justicars, and a number of surreptious groups jockeying for position:

What makes the Mages Academy so sure they're going to even get takers for the Chancellor's job? If I'm the Miyen Kai, for example, it's MUCH safer out on the hinterlands, staring down the potential threat, than it is to face all of the real ones, declared and undeclared. Likewise the other potential chancellors, all of whom would have left a safer, if not better situation than the one that waits for them in Dar Pykos. It'd be like running the American Self-Defense School in Mogadishu.

You know? "Thanks, but no thanks; I'll just open the Fire Magician's Primary School right over here in Dar Wyoming, where the toughest thing I have to face up to is the odd ECL 4 character and some sagebrush."

ellinor

Explorer
dpdx said:
Is everybody okay?

Yes, people are okay, although Fajitas is recuperating from the flu. Mostly, everyone is just really busy now.

To speculate about the motivations of the archmages' reasoning for wanting the Chancellor job, that was my initial thought as well. But my take is that Fajitas set them up with motivations. The Miyen Kai loves power (and what better power than to be in a position to mold such impressionable minds?); Manaal and Petros would probably love to have a platform for their philosophies to be heard; Barnabus would love to have the framework and resources to do his experiments (now that he's out of the resource-providing clutches of the Count, and doesn't really have anywhere to live, come to think of it), and Chi'i . . . well, who really understands anything about Chi'i. But she is a bit of an academic type already, so she might find communing with other arcanists to be rewarding. That's my take. None of them have really displayed the will to stay out of controversy or danger, except maybe Chi'i. Maybe there is a certain amount of self-preservation there, too . . .safety in numbers; students and teachers with power who can help you defend yourself and your kind; the desire to be part of making the world safer for your kind, rather than allowing it to become more and more dangerous . . . but of course, only Fajitas really knows how they think!

spyscribe

First Post
happyelf said:
I still think it should be the evil head-guy they found.

Ha! It's kind of like hosting a party that way. You think you're having four archmages over, then your adventurers ask if they can invite a fifth, you say, "Sure, why not?" And at that point, who's going to notice yet another one?

Remove ads