D&D 5E Well played WOTC (or Free RPG Day 2015)

Do you have the exact numbers with regards to magnitude?

Just downloading the rules doesn't really count as playtesting. Paizo had over 100,00 contributions to the Pathfinder rules so the title is a subjective one. We don't necessarily know who's was bigger but I think Pathfinder was the biggest.

Paizo has reported close to 45,000 participants of their playtest. WotC reported 200,000 playtesters, over four times as many. The Pathfinder number is also downloads, which might include repeated downloads by the same people. The WotC number is sign-ups for the program, so the number of downloads would be much higher.

Pathfinder had 100,000 posts on their message boards, but a number of replies were likely made by the same people. It's unlikely every playtester even posted.

I do find it sad WotC has nothing on Free RPG Day. They had some fun products in the past. That said, it would be nice if the old ones were downloadable somewhere so people without game stores could have access. Right now they've vanished into history, remembered only be collectors.

transtemporal

Explorer
To be honest, I don't think WotC can be faulted for giving out free stuff. They conducted the most extensive playtest in RPG history for free, including releasing a number of free modules to support the playtest. They issued the basic rules free. They issued the Elemental Evil Players Supplement free.

I agree. Sure, WotC have engaged in blatant money grabs from time to time but credit where credit's due, they've also released a lot of free web enhancements and supplements over the years too. The EE Players Supplement was a prime example. That was like a mini-splat book!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I do find it sad WotC has nothing on Free RPG Day. They had some fun products in the past. That said, it would be nice if the old ones were downloadable somewhere so people without game stores could have access. Right now they've vanished into history, remembered only be collectors.

You know about dndclassics.com, right? If not, check it out. Tons of old D&D products to download, and more added every week.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But this kind of illustrates my point. Free RPG Day is a really bad marketing idea...

Except that loss leaders (which are the marketing idea you are talking about) are often quite good ideas, and when executed well, can end up being quite valuable., such that they're a pretty common practice.

Now, we could question the specific implementation. Most specifically, it isn't talked up all that much - if you aren't watching carefully, you miss it entirely. And, if you have any other plans that day, you miss it entirely, and so on.

Zil

Explorer
Also Free RPG day is available in exactly one country in a limited number of places in that country. Whereas things released on the internet for free are available to a much higher amount of RPGers.

it's actually in at least two countries (Canada and US), but I don't believe anywhere else.

Some of those who participate in FreeRPG day also release their Free RPG Day offering for free online in digital form. Paizo typically does this a week or two after the Free Rpg Day event for instance.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Also Free RPG day is available in exactly one country in a limited number of places in that country. Whereas things released on the internet for free are available to a much higher amount of RPGers.

Three countries (US, UK, & Canada), with many years, many having matching DTRPG offers. Some of which remain free on DTRPG even after. There are somthing like 25 participating retailers in England and Wales.

Remove ads