We're All Gamers Together: Why Harassment Has To Stop

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.
Just as a warning, for those who might be bothered by certain sorts of content, some of the incidents that were relayed to me, the stories that were told, have jarring, uncomfortable occurrences in them. If mentions of rape and unsolicitated physical contact will bother you, you might want to skip the rest of this article. I know reading the emails and PMs from these women bothered me as they came in.

As much as what these women related bothered me, and obviously bothered them as the targets of the harassment, I felt that the fact that it was so uncomfortable was exactly the reason why this current piece needed to be written. We, as a group, need to start looking the people doing this harassment in the eye and telling them that we don’t think it is okay. We need to stop pushing these accounts into the shadows, under the rugs, and pretending that they do not exist. We need to make our communities into better places for everyone, and not just a bunch of men.

I put out a call over my various social media feeds (which was shared a lot), asking for women to share their experiences of harassment in tabletop gaming with me. Anonymity was offered to those who wanted it, and not surprisingly most respondents asked that their names be kept confidential. The reasons for them wanting to be kept anonymous were one of two. First, they were afraid of further harassment within their communities for calling out the bad behavior. They seen how women who tell men to stop get treated in small, closed communities and, for better or worse, they want to continue with their hobbies without additional harassment. The second reason was a bit scarier. Some of these women are professionals, working in tabletop gaming in a number of different capacities, who fear that publicly coming forward would negatively impact their careers within gaming.

I’ll just say that last one again, with emphasis: they were afraid that coming forward about their harassment, or the harassment that they had witnessed, would negatively impact their careers in tabletop gaming.

Because of these reasons, I will be keeping the identities of everyone who asked anonymous. Everyone who spoke with me identified themselves, I am just not identifying them.

One of the common threads through the experiences shared was rape. Most of these women had had characters raped during convention play, online games, or at events at stores. Sometimes the rapes were matter-of-factly introduced into play, others there was a titillating level of graphic detail to the assaults. One women talked about how a regular attendee at a local convention bragged of having a “rape kit” in his car for the women at the convention, and at one point he yelled at her to “find him women to sleep with.” She also talked about the organizers of the convention having a “men only camping retreat” and when she was on the board of the con the only way that she could attend was “nude and wearing a dog collar.” Another woman talked about the GM of her online game suddenly having her character knocked unconscious, taken away on a ship, and then graphically narrated raping her character. All of this occurred on voice chat while using a popular virtual tabletop site.

Another woman told me that her attempts at organizing a couple of women only games for a VTT online convention was met with such vehemence from male gamers that the games were pulled from the schedule of the convention.

People wonder why more and more people think that anti-harassment policies are needed at conventions. After all, even Gen Con has one:
Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management.

And an Ethics policy:

All of the following constitute grounds for expulsion from the convention without refund:
  • Violating any federal, state, or local laws, facility rules or convention policies
  • Failure to comply with the instructions of Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel
  • Using anything in a threatening or destructive manner against person or property
  • Endangering the safety of oneself or others
  • Threatening, stealing, cheating or harassing others
  • Failure to conduct oneself in a mature manner

The creators of the 13th Age RPG have anti-harassment policies for their organized play because “Nobody shows up for a game with the goal of feeling uncomfortable or unsafe, and sorry that they came. But organized play brings together many different types of people with different expectations and approaches to play. An anti-harassment policy sets ground rules that everyone can recognize and follow, resulting in better games and more fun.” In the policy they outline harassment as “Everyone has the right to a space that is safe from any type of harassment: physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual.”

Honestly, considering the experiences that have been related to me, these sorts of policies should be commonplace for conventions and organized play. I have heard that Paizo is currently drafting an anti-harassment policy for their organized play, and Ad Astra Games has one in place already.

These are some of the more overt things that women have to deal with in their tabletop gaming experiences, and doesn’t go into the more “casual” or systemic harassment and sexism that women deal with at conventions, in online play and at game stores. One of the women talked about women being a subclass in society, and it being more so in gaming communities. “It sucks for a female gamer, going into a store and having that reaction.”

Men are openly commenting on women’s body parts in a sexual manner. Sexual content is added to games because “that’s the kind of stuff that women like.” Crude sexual references and jokes are made.

I’m not saying that there is no place for sexual, or adult themes, in gaming. Just the opposite, in fact. In my personal groups I game with grownups, and we play games that can have adult material in them. We have, however, agreed that content like that is okay in advance, and most of the time we agree that players’ agency over their characters should not be railroaded by the story of the game, or the actions of the GM. There is a huge difference between making awkward sexual comments out of the blue, because you are hoping it will interest a woman gamer, and making awkward sexual comments that people expect in their game. This goes doubly so for games in public spaces, like conventions or stores.

And just because it is okay with your wife, girlfriend or the woman in your gaming group at home, that doesn’t mean that it is okay with all women. If it makes someone at the table uncomfortable, or makes them feel like they are being harassed, just don’t do it, or apologize for having done it.

And, of course, none of them are safe from accusations of being a “fake geek girl,” or being in the store to get something for their husband or boyfriend. Apparently the idea that a woman would want to buy her own dice or miniatures or rule books is alien to some gamers.

As Jon Peterson, author of Playing at the World, points out in an online essay, there have always been gender problems in tabletop gaming. But he also points out that women have been interested in tabletop gaming for a long time. But, just because something has “always been that way,” it does not mean that it has to stay that way. Even in the 1970s TSR Games employees were taken to task by fandom, and female designers, to be more respectful of women gamers and to stop using phrases like “ladygamers.” Sadly, these attitudes that were considered to be outdated back then are still being perpetuated now…in some cases by some of the same people.

My first AD&D group, back in 1979, had a woman for the GM, and about half of the group were women. Most of my groups since then have had women involved in them. We need to be better, as a community, about these things. We need to speak out when we see women being harassed, online or in person, and we need to tell the people who think that doing this is okay that it isn’t. We need to be active in making the change that creates better communities where we don’t have to worry about our friends being harassed because of their gender, or their sexual preferences, or their ethnicity. We have to convince conventions and organized play societies that having anti-harassment policies is a good thing, and enforcing them so that everyone feels welcomed and accepted is a better thing.

Guys, we have to remember that this isn’t about us. This isn’t about our perceptions of what is happening at conventions, during organized play events and in online games. We sit back, listen and ask what we need to do, rather than try to make the discussion about how it “isn’t all men.” We already know that. We need to not take the focus away from what needs to be done.

There are never going to be completely safe spaces, in gaming or outside of it. However, we can make better places where no one has to worry about their body parts being part of the table talk, or their characters being sexually violated. It is the 21st century, and we should be better about this than we are. We need to stop being quiet, stop facilitating harassment, and we need to start making better spaces for ourselves and our fellow gamers. A group, like nerds, that talk so much about being harassed in their youth for being different should really be more sensitive about harassing others. We can, as a group, be better about this, and we need to do it.

apologies if i misunderstood your comment.
I actually agree with most of what you said can be done too...but word from experience be careful how you ask strangers of they are all right (even though if you see me crying that most likely means I want to be asked) some people get insulted and some women think you are trying to be a "white knight" so they will sleep with you even if you are just being pita or nice the way you would be to a guy...

There is a little too many posts focusing on women, a harassment policy protects everyone at the event or store. Women are often targets but they are capable of harassing as well. I currently have a woman that keeps contacting me in the hope of a relationship and I have had to go to a lawyer and send a warning letter and probably will have to get a restraining order soon.

Women don't need white knights, they need a well run convention or store where they can game and avoid unpleasantness. Just like the rest of us need the same thing.

People with disabilities, different sexual preferences or gender choices are also often targets.

The purpose of a harassment policy is to level the playing field and make it clear that it is not tolerated regardless of who does it.

Reality is that women are targeted more. Not a gamer problem alone but it is a problem. All of us "not all men" or "not all gamers" need to do a little better to keep the exceptions out.

You can find a million edge cases and hypothetical examples to argue about but that is not the point.

For example, some women game to meet men and date. They like gaming and are looking for a boy friend who shares their interest. That is not an excuse to hit on every woman in the store. Chances are pretty good that the woman you are hitting on is just there to game and wants to be treated like everyone else.

Another example, many people enjoy crude humor, at least in moderation. That is not an excuse to be like like in public without the benefit of actually knowing the audience.

Is that the point? Does that really work?
Maybe. So little else seems to be working. Things aren't getting better.

Getting people to view persistent harassment as a form of domestic terrorism changes our response. We ask ourselves "if this was a terrorist rather than an individual jerk, would I respond the same way?" or "is my response enough?" It challenges our assumptions, shaking the reader out of their comfort zone. Which is sometimes needed.

Or do you just appear as having an unreasonable opinion
It's not an opinion. It's comparing the legal definition of terrorism from the criminal code with a form of violence and harassment not typically seen as terrorism, and finding out it could (should?) apply.
“in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause” and with the intention of intimidating the public “…with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act.”

Whether or not you believe sexual harassment can be a form of terrorism is your opinion. But intimidating someone out of fear of their lives to not do something because you hold a philosophy is terrorism in a nutshell.

or attacking the reader/listener, which prompts him into self-defense mode, instead of introspection? Or what if their introspection reveals that they have never harassed a woman, or seen it happening, because they don't just play with any as*hole, but with decent people?
Well... if they've never harassed a woman, seen it happening, and the like then they're not being attacked.
It's actually not really an attacking piece. It's not "men are white terrorists". It just provides stories of rampant abuse with an attention grabbing title meant to make people actually stop and do that introspection.

And maybe they're really get introspective and wonder if they've *really* never, ever seen abuse or been in a position to help out:
https://owenkcstephens.com/2016/04/03/ways-i-have-failed/

Taneras

First Post
I think I was pretty clear about its provenance, and posted links. The raw data is available. It was an *informal* study, done by an attendee, and I remarked that I myself would prefer to have more rigor.

But, let us take that 8% number just as historical: 8% of ComicCon attendees are harassed at some point in their con-going career. San Diego ComicCon 2015 had something like 130,000. That means if you were there, you were standing in the company of 10,000 people who have been harassed at some convention. You go to see the masquerade? These people are *all around you*. There will be several in your line of sight at pretty much all times. Consider that.

I could go back and try and find the poll, but since you're right here, and I'm not trying to diminish the sexual nature of some of the harassment, but did your poll specifically ask about sexual harassment/assault/rape? Or was it about harassment in general, which would include harassment that wasn't tied to any demographic as well as harassment tied to a demographic (racism/sexism/homophobia/etc.)?

Taneras

First Post
There is a little too many posts focusing on women, a harassment policy protects everyone at the event or store. Women are often targets but they are capable of harassing as well. I currently have a woman that keeps contacting me in the hope of a relationship and I have had to go to a lawyer and send a warning letter and probably will have to get a restraining order soon.

Women don't need white knights, they need a well run convention or store where they can game and avoid unpleasantness. Just like the rest of us need the same thing.

People with disabilities, different sexual preferences or gender choices are also often targets.

The purpose of a harassment policy is to level the playing field and make it clear that it is not tolerated regardless of who does it.

Reality is that women are targeted more. Not a gamer problem alone but it is a problem. All of us "not all men" or "not all gamers" need to do a little better to keep the exceptions out.

You can find a million edge cases and hypothetical examples to argue about but that is not the point.

For example, some women game to meet men and date. They like gaming and are looking for a boy friend who shares their interest. That is not an excuse to hit on every woman in the store. Chances are pretty good that the woman you are hitting on is just there to game and wants to be treated like everyone else.

Another example, many people enjoy crude humor, at least in moderation. That is not an excuse to be like like in public without the benefit of actually knowing the audience.

VERY well said, I agree 100%. There's no problem noticing that certain groups are the targets of harassment more often than not, but lets not forget the reason we're having this discussion in the first place - harassment. Policies shouldn't focus specifically to reduce harassment of certain demographics when i hose policies could easily be tweaked to reduce harassment of all demographics.

Jeanneliza

First Post
An assault needs to be a threat coupled with an apparent and present ability to carry out that specific threat.

Just wearing a KKK white garb isn't enough to fit that bill, just as carrying a confederate flag above your head or having it on a T-shirt doesn't fit that bill. I'm not going to post pictures of recent KKK demonstrations (rallies, protests, marches, etc) but some of their members are bold enough to wear the KKK white garb in public and the police don't bother them. Google images can bring up plenty if you care to look.

A convention could also make it a male only event, but just because they could doesn't mean that they should. There's nothing wrong with people voicing their opinions about policies going too far, especially this day in age when there are plenty of examples of policies going too far. Surely there are policies that we can put into place that both help reduce incidents and at the same time aren't overbearing. The issues being discussed here seem to be where the line should be drawn.

I never suggested what Con organizers should or should not do. I noted legal definition of assault and battery, I noted the legal limits on free speech. I perhaps should have said that is a person in a white hood shows up at a black church, or at a black persons home that indeed could be constituted as a threat/assault given the clear meaning of the hood to people of other races. As for me, I had considered making an effort to attend Gen-Con this summer, largely to meet the members of ConTessa in person, have a one time chance of playing a game live instead of online, and the do indeed offer all women games with the support of the convention organizers. For me, because I have a disability that is invisible to others but not in the limitations it imposes on me, and that would increase the cost of attending such an event, I have decided to take a pass on it. Do I fear assault? Not really, despite being a 60 year old grandmother with totally silver hair and standing only 5 foot tall and 120 pounds soaking wet, I can hold my own. Wasp spray is legal, effective, and shoots 20 feet. Cheap and can be kept anywhere a woman feels she may be at risk, including her own bedroom. I have heard some on here about what women are taught, and in fact some of it is wrong. ALWAYS make eye contact with perceived threats. Now you can IDENTIFY them. On the streets and anywhere else assailants look for people who are either oblivious to what is happening around them, or so intimidated they are visibly walking in fear, eyes down, shoulder hunched. There are many techniques taught in assault prevention classes that are different from what the public accepts as what works.
That and it seems to have an effect on some of the more insulting types to have a five foot silver haired grandmother look em straight in the eye and say something like "You can do that, if you wish to be neutered before you are done." I can even say it with a smile, that is really scary because then they think their intended victim is crazy as well.
I got into some of this in response to the community I am part of asking for more women in their games, questioning how they could bring more women into the hobby. On this thread there is a litany of exactly what NOT to do. If you want to keep the hobby exclusive carry on. If you genuinely want to broaden the fan and customer base, starting from what shouldn't be done because it may pose a risk of a false accusation to a few, or be too extreme, or can be abused that is a mistake. If you want more women in the hobby then actually listen to what the women say about why they avoid it, and respect whether you agree or not that they have valid concerns.
Nitpicking finer points while women, while ANYONE suffers is not going to convince them to join in.
As to the numbers cited, somewhere someone commented, what those numbers don't reflect and would likely drive them much higher is how many have already left the hobby, gave it a try and never came back? They are unknown, unreachable to surveys of current gamers community. How many have ALREADY been driven away in the 40 some years since this started growing? Those are numbers that are likely impossible to measure,but if anyone thinks the inability to measure them accurately means they are low or non-existent I suspect they have another think coming. Last Friday I was 2 games away from becoming one of THAT number.

To me, the issue with the reaction to this article and the subject is the amount of danger.

As a white male gamer, knowing there's sexism and people like me are to blame makes me feel guilty and shameful. I don't like being at fault, or thinking of how - at the right place and time - I could be "the bad guy" that's at fault. Or, how, during my super awkward teenaged years, maybe I was "the bad guy", being that creepy person who made women uncomfortable.

The danger to women, to people in this hobby, is violent: death threats, rape threats, unwanted contact, doxing, and the like. And, again, the danger to me and men like me is that my feelings get hurt.

Y'know what, if hurt feelings are the cost I need to pay so that progress can be made in this hobby, then I'll happily pay. I'll pay twice. It's an insignificant price.

Taneras

First Post
The danger to women, to people in this hobby, is violent: death threats, rape threats, unwanted contact, doxing, and the like. And, again, the danger to me and men like me is that my feelings get hurt.

This extremely simplistic view is what some people are talking about. Everyone is capable of receiving death threats, doxing, unwanted contact, etc. Yes, obviously its more often than not women and there's nothing wrong with mentioning that. But if the concern is reducing the instances of said harassment why do we keep seeing comments that label this as a black and white issue.

Comments above are no different from people saying that women don't receive harassment. If enough people said that the only danger men face is getting their feelings hurt that could pressure some men into not reporting issues they might face.

Again, if this conversation is about creating a policy to reduce harassment, I'm all in. What can we do to reduce harassment at these conventions, without going overborad, and make it a welcome place for everyone? Lets work to make this an enjoyable experience for all people.

If this conversation is about creating a policy to reduced harassment women face, despite the fact that tweaking such a policy to include/protect *EVERYONE* is likely very easy to do (just modify/add a few words), then its part of the problem it wants to solve.

Last edited by a moderator:

This extremely simplistic view is what some people are talking about. Everyone is capable of receiving death threats, doxing, unwanted contact, etc. Yes, obviously its more often than not women and there's nothing wrong with mentioning that. But if the concern is reducing the instances of said harassment why do we keep seeing comments that label this as a black and white issue.

Comments above are no different from people saying that women don't receive harassment. If enough people said that the only danger men face is getting their feelings hurt that could pressure some men into not reporting issues they might face.

Again, if this conversation is about creating a policy to reduce harassment, I'm all in. What can we do to reduce harassment at these conventions, without going overborad, and make it a welcome place for everyone? Lets work to make this an enjoyable experience for all people.

If this conversation is about creating a policy to reduced harassment women face, despite the fact that tweaking such a policy to include/protect *EVERYONE* is likely very easy to do (just modify/add a few words), then its part of the problem it wants to solve.
Won't somebody please think of the poor white men!

Sure, white males can be harassed, raped, abused and the victim of racism. But that's not the majority of cases. But that's a small percentage (insignificant really, being within the margin of error). It doesn't deserve to be the focus of the conversation and is really a distraction of the larger issue.
If the house is on fire, you don't take a fire extinguisher to the smouldering shed.

Yeah, any harassment policy should be broad and encompass everyone. Was that ever in doubt? Focusing on just women excludes all sorts of other groups, such as People of Colour, intersex and homosexual individuals, and people with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities.
I don't think the discussion was ever on *just* protecting women. And as we address the issue for one group, it helps address the issue for others. It helps everyone.

VERY well said, I agree 100%. There's no problem noticing that certain groups are the targets of harassment more often than not, but lets not forget the reason we're having this discussion in the first place - harassment. Policies shouldn't focus specifically to reduce harassment of certain demographics when i hose policies could easily be tweaked to reduce harassment of all demographics.

There is no need to tweak anything. The harassment policy should be about no harassment. The enforcement probably will be mainly protecting women. There is no contradiction there And nothing to tweak.

I said too much focus on women only distracts from the key point and draws in too many sex wars comments. I also said the fact is that they are the demographic most affected.

a well written policy will protect everyone, but the standard example policy at most cons already does that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads