• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E We're Ready For The Thirteenth Warrior Campaign Setting

ren1999

First Post
What do I mean? I mean that in the movie "The 13th Warrior", there was a neat little story based on cave dwellers that attacked a Viking town and that perhaps those were the Dwarves of legend.

So what we do is create a game campaign setting that is very strongly based on research of actual legends. We also use real historical locations and use the 1st Edition Deities and Demigods as its basis.

So this is how we can unite this setting with all the other previous settings.

We take Mystara and put in in South America because of its Aztec/Mayan/Incan adventures. We then put the rest of Forgotten Realms above that.

Then we put Greyhawk, Birthright, Kalamar and Lankhmar in Northern Europe.

Ravenloft will of course, be in the Baltics.

Put Kara-Tur, Rakugan in Asia.

Put Hyboria in Africa.

Put Eberron on its own steam punk continent away from the others -- Australia.

Keep Dark Sun on its own planet with the Jammers in space.

And this is the background.

We'll call it Alternate Earth.

Gunpowder and explosives became a closely guarded secret by the spellcasters who originated here in our role-playing world at this day and age. These spellcasters went to an alternate Earth around 800 AD. They offered to teach their magic to the those in that world who would learn in order to render the desire for gunpowder a near useless endeavor. Life progressed until 1600 AD, the present time of this campaign world.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
I would stick with the historical theme, and just base it on the 13th Warrior. The movie took place in ancient Russia (western Russia, near Moscow). The Vikings were actually the Rus. They sailed up and down rivers as far inland as the Black Sea. I don't who you mean by the dwarves.

In any case, historical fantasy is often a lot of fun. I recommend doing a survey of the 2nd Edition books on it. I have an Atlantean campaign setting which is a lot of fun.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I ran an alternate earth game for a long, long time:

http://www.terra-viejo.net/World/World.htm

Very doable. You do have to make decisions...lot of decisions. Like, "how high magic". GMs and some players are often interested in lower magic games. But there will always be a few players that would not like it so much...How anachranistic: all about 13th century, or do you want romans and vikings and late medieval knights all around? How conspicuous are monsters? How prominent are non-humans, etc, etc, etc.

It would be interesting to seen it done in a pretty conservative manner, but I think it would have niche appeal.

aramis erak

Legend
I would stick with the historical theme, and just base it on the 13th Warrior. The movie took place in ancient Russia (western Russia, near Moscow). The Vikings were actually the Rus. They sailed up and down rivers as far inland as the Black Sea. I don't who you mean by the dwarves.

In any case, historical fantasy is often a lot of fun. I recommend doing a survey of the 2nd Edition books on it. I have an Atlantean campaign setting which is a lot of fun.

It's as important to note that the Rus were actually viking merchants/raiders. The locals were Slavs, a different culture, and one dominated by the villages the Rus built as trade centers.

(And that the Rus were basically made into the Russian nobility by Gengis Khan.)

Klaus

First Post

Actually, Ibn Fahdlan was originally sent from Baghdad to what is now Bulgaria, but along the way is drafted into going to Scandinavia with the Northmen.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
And a complete work of fiction invented whole cloth by Chrichton. The man wrote it on a bet with a friend he couldn't make Beowulf a good read.

Well, no, not whole cloth, or it wouldn't be his take on Beowulf. It has the basic plot structure but tries to ground the superstitions in a reality. Grendel, the mother, then the dragon, for instance, are all represented in mortal analogs. The hero dies in the end. As Beowulf, the epic not the hero, is suspected to have been co-opted by missionaries somewhere along the way and given some Christian elements, Crichton presents Eaters of the Dead through the eyes of an outsider with a different religion than those people at the center of the tale. It's anything but whole cloth.

Last edited:

ren1999

First Post
To answer, the magic system and rules will remain 5th Edition.

The Roman Empire of Julius will exist along side the 3 musketteers but without the vast Roman lands and musketts.

We will rewrite all the previous modules such as Mystara and Greyhwk except with more history.
Manticores are in the Iran area.

Vikings are exploring Russia, for example.

Remove ads