WFRP New Enemy Within Chapter: The Horned Rat by Cubicle 7

TheSword

Legend
Yeah. I hear you. I could have 100+ players in my circle and not be able to find 3 willing to play WFRP.
I'm buying these mostly to read for inspiration and because I know they'll go out of print and become collectible one day. (Probably when Cubicle 7 loses the license.) In fact, I'm shocked that the entire campaign may be printed (honestly, I expected 1-2 books before the line wrapped up.)
I’m surprised. All three of my groups have expressed interest in giving it a go. That said VTT makes it considerably easier to use.

Retreater

Legend
I’m surprised. All three of my groups have expressed interest in giving it a go. That said VTT makes it considerably easier to use.
The biggest strikes against it for my groups are:
1) it's not D&D (or even d20 based), requiring all new system mastery.
2) it's perceived as another system where you're a weakling and have to run away from everything.
3) the implementation on Roll20 is lacking (no character builder, no official adventure content)

TheSword

Legend
The biggest strikes against it for my groups are:
1) it's not D&D (or even d20 based), requiring all new system mastery.
2) it's perceived as another system where you're a weakling and have to run away from everything.
3) the implementation on Roll20 is lacking (no character builder, no official adventure content)

I get where they’re coming from. I suspect if I wasn’t a fan of earlier editions the first point would put me off.

The second is entirely dependent on how challenging the DM makes it. I don’t think WFRP is a game where PCs are weak... in fact quite the opposite. Fortune and Resilience means they can be very successful. However it is a game where sometimes things go wrong... very wrong. I’ve played a fair bit and I don’t think my party has ever ran a way.

I feel the third, particularly at the start. Luckily the game isn’t really one where levelling your character is a big process. It’s far more granular than that. It isn’t like D&D or where you have a small number of major decisions to make, you have a large number of very minor decisions. A lot of which are random. IMHO the best way to create a character in WFRP is to randomize it as suggested in the book. Amending things if you feel they don’t fit.

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I didn't realize The Oldenhaller Contract had a 4e update! This is one of my all time favorite scenarios and the best intro scenario to any game I think ever. You don't finish Oldenhaller and have any questions about the type of game and mood WFRP is going for.
I mean... It's not an official conversion, but I thought the Redditor did a good job.

Remove ads