WFRP New Enemy Within Chapter: The Horned Rat by Cubicle 7

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
How do you think it plays? I've played one session at a Con, and it seemed easy because a GM was taking care of all the rules. Then I tried to run it myself for two very short sessions, and it was -almost- a disaster. Very confusing to me, which is why I would want to convert it to a different system.
If I can't understand it, my players have no shot of grasping it.
I think it plays okay. The momentum stuff stops you from whiffing non-stop early on but there's stuff that I don't like about it too. They could really use a Realms of Magic book to expand the magic offerings and how advancements are handled and tracked are, I think, a bit less intuitive than before. Also, it seems they more or less copied how class progression works in Shadow of the Demon Lord and tried to make it seem it's still kind of resembles the career tree of old (it doesn't).

That all being said, you could easily take these adventures and run them in 1st or 2nd edition rules easily enough. If you want to run them in 3rd edition you'd obviously have to do alot of work and then we also could no longer be friends.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
I think it plays okay. The momentum stuff stops you from whiffing non-stop early on but there's stuff that I don't like about it too. They could really use a Realms of Magic book to expand the magic offerings and how advancements are handled and tracked are, I think, a bit less intuitive than before. Also, it seems they more or less copied how class progression works in Shadow of the Demon Lord and tried to make it seem it's still kind of resembles career tree of old (it doesn't).

That all being said, you could easily take these adventures and run them in 1st or 2nd edition rules easily enough. If you want to run them in 3rd edition you'd obviously have to do alot of work and then we also could no longer be friends.
I never played 3ed edition. However I have ran the adventures in 5e/Pathfinder and they played excellently.

Witches Song and their new Enemy Within (Confusing title in the circumstances) are both really good, as is Edge of Night (Reprinted as Lord of Ubersreik for 4e)

WFRP NPCs and plots are so well realized I think they stand on their own merits in any system. You just have to do the adjustments to crunch... pretty easy for 5e

Retreater

Legend
Referring to 1e or 2e WRPG not D&D, correct?
Still, trying to get them to play anything new, teaching them the whole system is quite a task.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Referring to 1e or 2e WRPG not D&D, correct?
Still, trying to get them to play anything new, teaching them the whole system is quite a task.
Correct, 1st or 2nd edition of WFRP.

I'm sure it's do-able to convert to PF/D&D but honestly, D100 systems are pretty simple at their core and there are several traits that don't have a direct analogue in D&D. Check out 1st or 2nd edition, they are a bit more D&D-y with variable dice weapon damage and the like. Might make for a smoother transition.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
RE: the system, I had my wife, who has mostly played 5E D&D, Blades in the Dark, and FATE, roll up a character. She really liked how the random rolls and choices push you into fleshing out the character. She's eager to get started, but there's a dearth of solo WFRP 4E scenarios. I'm probably going to use the Oldenhaller Contract, but allow her to hire somebody as muscle.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
RE: the system, I had my wife, who has mostly played 5E D&D, Blades in the Dark, and FATE, roll up a character. She really liked how the random rolls and choices push you into fleshing out the character. She's eager to get started, but there's a dearth of solo WFRP 4E scenarios. I'm probably going to use the Oldenhaller Contract, but allow her to hire somebody as muscle.
I didn't realize The Oldenhaller Contract had a 4e update! This is one of my all time favorite scenarios and the best intro scenario to any game I think ever. You don't finish Oldenhaller and have any questions about the type of game and mood WFRP is going for.

Man....his I'm craving to get a group going for this....
I have a pool of...10+ potential players in my wider circle, but wfrp is just not happening. Shame.
I love that Cubicle 7 is doing well with those revives.

Retreater

Legend
Man....his I'm craving to get a group going for this....
I have a pool of...10+ potential players in my wider circle, but wfrp is just not happening. Shame.
I love that Cubicle 7 is doing well with those revives.
Yeah. I hear you. I could have 100+ players in my circle and not be able to find 3 willing to play WFRP.
I'm buying these mostly to read for inspiration and because I know they'll go out of print and become collectible one day. (Probably when Cubicle 7 loses the license.) In fact, I'm shocked that the entire campaign may be printed (honestly, I expected 1-2 books before the line wrapped up.)

Remove ads