WFRP: What are the most difficult modules printed (regardless of edition)? Looking for something to run after Empire in Ruins

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
There's a fan scenario (that won a contest for WFRP 2e) called Dead Ringer that is a very well done mystery, complete with plenty of violence. The plot can lead the PCs down a number of different routes, some of which prove to be red herrings and others of which may end them. It's really quite good.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
H4, The Throne of Bloodstone. You have to read it to believe it.

Well, that's a D&D module. I was thinking something specific to WFRP.

That's where we are too, about to finish the first book. The difference is that I have my doubts if my group will even finish the campaign as written. It's quite the epic and will be the biggest, most involved game I've ever run since starting GMing in 1989.

Yeah, it's huge. I have a more drop-in-drop-out game so I am expecting that the same group of players may not make it to the end, but I the DM am determined to do so!

Right now, what I'm leaning towards as an "extra adventure" on top of the Empire in Ruins is either Art of the WAAAGH! (I found a copy of it, it's definitely high-level) or Something Rotten in Kislev mixed together with Cursed City of Ulfenkarn. That is actually an unreleased Soulbound project, but it feels really vampire-Kislev to me so would fit well as something to liven up SRiK.

TheSword

Legend
The challenge will be, there is no module harder than Empire in Flames because it’s the longest running campaign. Doomstones comes close but it is a very very different campaign.

I would recommend the three adventures Ashes of Middenheim, Spires of Altdorf and Forges of Nuln. Have them take place after the anarchy of the rebellions in Empire in Ruins, rather than the after effect of chaos invasion. The advantage is that several NPCs will already have been referenced.

Are there even multiple wmodules for WFRP? I have the impression they always reprint the same set of adventures and once they are finished make a new edition.
That’s a fairly substantially mischaracterisation. Every edition had its own set of a large number of adventures. 4th edition is the first time Enemy Within has been reprinted for a different edition and it is 30 years later. Aside from that it’s been a couple of small one off modules like Rough Night at the Three Feathers, Night of Blood or Natassia’s wedding that are reprinted as PDFs or included as a bonus in another book.

New Hardcover/softcover substantive adventures

2nd: Ashes of Middenheim, Spires of Altdorf, Forges of Nuln, Lure of the Liche Priest, Terror in Talabheim

3rd: Witches Song, Gathering Storm, Enemy Within (Totally different story), The Edge of Night

4th: Ubersreik Asventures, Ubersreik Adventures 2.

[Edit] An alternative to adding on to the end, would be got insert some things partway through. Rough Nights and Hard Days is designed to be inserted into Enemy Within and is worth a few levels. Oldenhaller Contract would slide in very nicely to any city or town location and links in later to RNHDs. Pretty much all the Ubersreik Adventures can be easily slotted by in. Hell if you really want to scare your players send them to Castle Drachenfels!

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

The challenge will be, there is no module harder than Empire in Flames because it’s the longest running campaign. Doomstones comes close but it is a very very different campaign.

I would recommend the three adventures Ashes of Middenheim, Spires of Altdorf and Forges of Nuln. Have them take place after the anarchy of the rebellions in Empire in Ruins, rather than the after effect of chaos invasion. The advantage is that several NPCs will already have been referenced.

That’s a fairly substantially mischaracterisation. Every edition had its own set of a large number of adventures. 4th edition is the first time Enemy Within has been reprinted for a different edition and it is 30 years later. Aside from that it’s been a couple of small one off modules like Rough Night at the Three Feathers, Night of Blood or Natassia’s wedding that are reprinted as PDFs or included as a bonus in another book.

New Hardcover/softcover substantive adventures

2nd: Ashes of Middenheim, Spires of Altdorf, Forges of Nuln, Lure of the Liche Priest, Terror in Talabheim

3rd: Witches Song, Gathering Storm, Enemy Within (Totally different story), The Edge of Night

4th: Ubersreik Asventures, Ubersreik Adventures 2.

[Edit] An alternative to adding on to the end, would be got insert some things partway through. Rough Nights and Hard Days is designed to be inserted into Enemy Within and is worth a few levels. Oldenhaller Contract would slide in very nicely to any city or town location and links in later to RNHDs. Pretty much all the Ubersreik Adventures can be easily slotted by in. Hell if you really want to scare your players send them to Castle Drachenfels!

These are good suggestions! I have a follow-up question in another comment on Forges of Nuln.

So I'm actually caught in a bit of a Catch 22 here... I'm running this campaign in 5E (don't judge me too harshly, it's hard to corral people into different systems) and 5E treats a lot of monsters as weaker than WFRP does. So for example, but part 2 "Death on the Reik" the party will be facing a pack of goblins, but will likely be about level 5. And goblins at level 5 aren't challenging, so I've boosted them a bit to keep up.

Now, by including more adventures before Empire in Ruins, I'll be exacerbating that problem of having to boost monsters beyond their normal strengths to keep up with the advancement of the party.

So I don't have a clear idea of what the best way to add content is... I'm still leaning towards continuing the Enemy Within as is and adding a timeskip and next adventure on top. I may even just make up my own sequel adventure, inspired by the outline abandoned by Cubicle 7 for a new campaign (the one where they go to Lustria/Ulthuan).

Urriak Uruk

So I have a question about Forges of Nuln, or more actually, about a thread from Enemy Within that seems to trend to Nuln.

In Shadows over Bogenhafen, we learn that a bounty hunter was hired by a QF in Nuln to hunt down Kastor Lieberung. Does this thread get followed up upon? If not, it may be a good idea to use Forges of Nuln as a tie-in to that thread.

I do have all five parts of Enemy Within but have only read the first two parts front-to-back (skimmed the others), so there's still a lot of details I'm missing.

TheSword

Legend
So I have a question about Forges of Nuln, or more actually, about a thread from Enemy Within that seems to trend to Nuln.

In Shadows over Bogenhafen, we learn that a bounty hunter was hired by a QF in Nuln to hunt down Kastor Lieberung. Does this thread get followed up upon? If not, it may be a good idea to use Forges of Nuln as a tie-in to that thread.

I do have all five parts of Enemy Within but have only read the first two parts front-to-back (skimmed the others), so there's still a lot of details I'm missing.
Please don’t read this if you’re playing in my campaign!

Yes the lead is followed up in Empire in Ruins. Quintiss Fassbinder is a disgraced/out of favour academic who can assist the PCs. Though it it’s really just an add in, rather than an integral part of the adventure.

Remove ads