WH40K Dawn of War Beta now Open

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Very kewl, can't wait for the campaign!

I like the fact that you create a squad out of a building (a la warcraft/starcraft), but that you can upgrade individual squads/vehicles on the fly. Want to add a marine to your standard four man squad, klick and wait (same goes for weapon and seargeant upgrades).

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Krug said:
I'm just glad to know there isn't too much reliance on resource building.
There is zero resource harvesting. You get x amount of resource points and you can capture objectives with your regular troops for extra resource points.

You can also drop troops (tactical squad and dreads) from orbit, very useful for some extra punch. Last night i used a beefed up Predator with a Dreadnaught to sweep most of the eldar structures away in the test mission. When they got into trouble i just dropped in an extra dread right next to the beleagured forces.

I'm going to buy this game when it comes out!

Calico_Jack73

First Post
One balance issue that I have a problem with is how the Eldar have the ability to build ANYWHERE just by throwing up one of their warp gates.

Let me back up for people who haven't played it. When you start out you have an area around your base that you can build within. Whenever you take a strategic objective point and build a listening post on it you then gain the ability to build around it as well. All of the races EXCEPT the Eldar must build in those areas. The Eldar can create a Warpgate anywhere they want and it creates an area around it that they can build other structures in. The Warp Gates are awesome enough in their own right already... they can be upgraded to heal troops that are around them and you can load up your troops in one warp gate and take them out of another on the other side of the map. I think every race ought to have an "outpost" structure that allows them to create new build areas away from the listening posts.

Another balance gripe is that while generally the Marine forces are bad-asses they don't really have much that can compare to the Eldar Avatar and the Chaos Bloodthirster. At least the Orks have the great big lizard. I haven't had the chance to see how powerful a couple units of Terminators would be against the two super units.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE the game. In fact, I'm hoping that they'll put out an expansion before too long that will make the Tyranids a playable force. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Imperial Guard and the Necrons.

Remove ads