• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What’s So Great About Medieval Europe?

Mirtek

Hero
Not Hollywood. The myths and legends of those cultures were not created by Hollywood. Hydras and Robin Hood and stuff may be used by Hollywood in the way that a game designer might use them, but attributing the world's myths and legends to Hollywood is the exact opposite of what we're talking about here.
I stick with "hollywood" because the myth and legends are not used 1:1, because that would be "too boring". The settings use a bastarized version of said myth and legends that better fits their storytelling and coolness needs. Most often you end up with a version of the original myth/legend that has nothing in common with the original than the look and some of the most iconic powers.

Because again, a faithfull and respectfull representation of the original myth/legend is not even on the list of goals.

The original concept of the harpy doesn't matter. What goes into the sourcebook is the "Michal Bay version" of the cool half-bird-monster-lady that attacks the PCs.

TheSword

Legend
The point is about tasteful use of the myths, legends, history and imagery.

The further back you go the less you have to be concerned. There aren’t any saxons around to be offended and there aren’t many ancient Greeks around either therefore you can mix it up a bit.

Research is still useful because it provides inspiration and helps things make sense not because we need to faithfully adapt the legend of the Mummy with the correct ancient Egyptian funeral rites.

Paizo did a damned good job writing the Mwangi Expanse and the area around it as a land oppressed by an overtly evil corporation exploiting the land and its people. In the APs and modules set there the party aided in thwarting the company and the people that supported them by assuring the locals. Had they written the module pushing the party to take the other side it probably wouldn’t have been. It was tasteful and I consider Paizo a pretty thoughtful and sensible company when it comes to material.

The Oriental Adventures books have received some criticism recently largely around some outmoded concepts, some around naming, some around stereotypes. Let’s not forget though both books were a massive innovation and award winning. Are we honestly saying with the greater awareness of the issues we can’t produce something similar for 5e or an equivalent!?

I’m yet to see some good examples of WOC or other established mainstream companies misappropriating culture in the last 5-10 years say. I’ve seen lots of criticism of the idea but not much in the way of specifics.

There aren't any ancient africans, samurai or mongols around either.
Also, they still have yurts. It's kinda weird though because some of them are actually really weirdly modern housing. But they are still yurts. I mean...some of them are basically a collapsable modern house with electricity and everything. Its kinda strange.

Zardnaar

Legend
There aren't any ancient africans, samurai or mongols around either.

Samurai are a lot more recent, Mongols are proud
Also, they still have yurts. It's kinda weird though because some of them are actually really weirdly modern housing. But they are still yurts. I mean...some of them are basically a collapsable modern house with electricity and everything. Its kinda strange.

They still like the traditional ways and they're proud of their Empire.

Some if those yurts look great lol. Would try.

Samurai are a lot more recent, Mongols are proud

They still like the traditional ways and they're proud of their Empire.

Some if those yurts look great lol. Would try.
004.JPG
im gonna build one of these.

Im gonna plant flowers all over it too.

jasper

Rotten DM

In a world where Dragonborn have a reputation as noble and honorable people, who have nations and towns and families just like you, they’re gonna just be a foreigner.

The idea they’d be somehow mistaken for dragons is pretty dang absurd.
Gee it is in their race Dragonborn. Maybe they have a good reputation in Waterdeep but you get out into the far woods of Slapout, they be funny looking yankees who want to steal our women, hub caps and I bet they are Ga Bull dog fans.

Remove ads