D&D 5E What’s the highest level character you’ve played in 5E?

What’s the highest level 5E character you’ve played?

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 5 3.9%

Votes: 7 5.5%

Votes: 7 5.5%

Votes: 4 3.1%

Votes: 9 7.1%

Votes: 14 11.0%

Votes: 10 7.9%

Votes: 12 9.4%

Votes: 10 7.9%

Votes: 6 4.7%

Votes: 5 3.9%

Votes: 6 4.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 20 15.7%

70.4% of us have gone to level 11 or higher.

Once. They have gotten to level 11 or higher once. Sure, it might have happened more than once, but this question is only about one campaign. WotC/DDB's stats are an average of all characters across all campaigns, including those that never get very far or might be one shots.

I've played for 30 years at this point and a very large number of our campaigns peter out around levels 8-12. Often the current DM burns out or has to take a break, but sometimes we just reach a plateau and grow tired of our characters.

Edit:

I currently use the "Fifth Edition Character Sheet" app on Android, and it has all my D&D characters for the past 3-4 years. The oldest character is the Fighter, and he was immediately before the Warlock 4 from an aborted Curse of Strahd campaign that started right when the book was released in 2016. I have:

Fighter 16
Warlock 4
Cleric 5
Barbarian 8/Fighter 1
Bard 6

So I reached level 16. But the average level is only 8.

Technically that Bard is still being played, but that campaign ends at level 10 and is on hiatus because the DM is retired and in Florida over the winter, so we probably won't get back to it.

Last edited:

Tiggerunner

Explorer
Data shows 70% over level 11, with an N of 100. Interesting. I think you only need a total of 370 responses to hit a confidence interval of 95% (assuming a random sample of a population of 40 Million players), but I think it's safe to say the statistically significant number is considerably higher than 0% at this point, bearing in mind this is also a non-random convenience sample.

I'm glad ENworld took the time to do this. Good luck.

Last edited:

delph

Explorer
Wy played CoS and ToA first ended in 12 lvl, ToA on 11 lvl. Now I told my GM I wanna play something to 15+ to enjoy my character on higher lvls. So after Dragon Heist we will play DiA... (but not sure how I enjoy it becasue I like my Trollskull manor inn)

GreyLord

Legend
20th technically, but as we used epic rules, it was epic more than 20th, especially after around 10 epic boons, at that point you are far more powerful than most 20th level characters.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
@Seramus had a good point on the poll. Is this meant to comment on campaign duration: what's the highest level of character you've played after starting at levels 1-3? I wonder if the level 20 numbers are skewed for adventures that started at epic level instead of beginner.

Anoth

Adventurer
I have played to 20 in 5E and I can say it plays better than any edition with regard to simplicity. I have played becmi, 2E, 3.5 Above 30. And pathfinder well into the 20s. Never played immortal rules for becmi. The mechanics were just too weird for us.

Coroc

Hero
Unfortunately only 6th atm. since i am the other DM. As a DM the highest level mob i ran was 19 or so vs a level 10 group . :p

Remove ads