D&D 5E What 3 books would you take to do campaign/session prep while on vacation?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I do not have DnD Beyond, which means taking traditional books with me as I travel internationally for a week. I'm going to spend some of this time working on my campaign and the next few sessions (Pirate town theme).

I have the following APs -- Tomb of Annihilation, Tales of the Yawning Portal and Curse of Strahd.
I have the core plus Sword Coast, Volo's and Xanathar's guides.
I have Tomb of Beasts.

What three books (due to space limitations) would you take if you were prepping?

stoneagewar3

First Post
2 of my favorite fantasy novels, and a notebook to write down anything that comes to mind
edit: the favorite fantasy novels might get replaced with other books if there is a specific tone or feel I want to aim for

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Art of Magic the Gathering or other art book (a picture is worth a thousand words)
Notebook
Short novel

Last edited:

PHB
Volo’s
XGtE

I like me some Tome of Beasts, but dang is that book BIG - not taking it on vacation with limited space.

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
DMG -- for the magic items, many of which can make a huge difference in a campaign.
MM -- for the monsters
Volo's -- for the monsters, particularly the NPCs

Mostly because I have the PHB practically memorized by now, and D&D Basic is available for free on-line as a PDF for any specific rules I forgot (except certain spells and certain subclasses which are missing).

Shiroiken

Legend
1E DMG (best sourcebook for campaign/adventure design)
5E DMG (suprisingly good for campaign design, and kind of necessary for treasure for adventuring planning)
5E MM (most monsters used will probably come from this book)
VGtM (only if 1E DMG isn't available)

Draegn

Explorer
If I were travelling internationally, I would go out and take many pictures rather than sitting in a hotel room with a book. Transfer the places you see and people you meet into your game.

Remove ads