D&D 5E What 3 books would you take to do campaign/session prep while on vacation?

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
If I'm going on vacation, it won't be vacation if I'm doing prep. So I take nothing. Honestly, I've found that even taking more luggage than a backpack can tend to ruin travel.

Thanks
KB

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
If I'm going on vacation, it won't be vacation if I'm doing prep. So I take nothing. Honestly, I've found that even taking more luggage than a backpack can tend to ruin travel.

Thanks
KB

I'm travelling with a 6-yr-old and a 2-yr-old. There will be times when I'm in our room, or just reading on the beach.

My iPad with the SRD and Basic Rules.
The PDF of my homebrew campaign setting.
One Adventure Storyline, whichever I like the most. Currently Tomb of Annihilation.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Easy:

1. Rules Cyclopedia
2. Isle of Dread
3. Keep on the Borderlands

Oh...you mean 5e books. Probably wouldn't take them. But if I did, the core three...another easy one because it's the only 5e books I own. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

S

Sunseeker

3 notebooks.

Mechanics are quick and easy to fill in later. The story, the setting, the important events, I don't need rules for that, nor would I really want to be pouring through rulebooks while on vacation.

delericho

Legend
It depends what type of prep I'm planning on doing.

If I'm going to run a named storyline (eg "Out of the Abyss"), I'll take that and either a notebook or a lot of Post-it notes.

If I'm prepping for a new campaign to be run at some future time, I'll take a notebook and some inspirational material - artbooks or good (probably non-fantasy) novels, or something.

If I'm hoping to put together a full adventure, I'll take the core three... or maybe forego the DMG and take a second monster book instead.

All that said, I'm also inclined to recommend seeing if you can take a laptop, and make do with PDFs of the SRD, Basic Rules, and any other books you can get ("Tome of Beasts", for instance, is available in PDF). That said, there's a risk there - the availability of the internet may prove counter-productive...

aco175

Legend
Last vacation I ended up taking a notepad and a pad of graph paper. I was able to catch up on making maps for places I had in the campaign, and also make dungeon maps for up and coming places the group was going to explore. I find during the week I have time to write, but not map. I came home with several maps and and a few pages of notes that came to me while out.

Remove ads