• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 3 classes will be in the Arcane power book?

Sitara

Explorer
Actually I think the approach they will try (and I hope this is so) is the following:

PHB: New Base Classes
Power books (Martial Power): Expand on the base classes with new powers/feats.
PHBII: New Base classes
Power Books II (Martial power II):Expand on powers and feats of the new classes in PHBII.

Etc etc/.

MaelStorm

First Post
Sitara said:
Actually I think the approach they will try (and I hope this is so) is the following:

Power Books II (Martial power II):Expand on powers and feats of the new classes in PHBII.

Etc etc/.

I totally agree with you.

drothgery

First Post
Both at GenCon and in recent posts to some other boards by WotC employees, it's been very strongly implied that the bard is an arcane leader (I mean, they've said straight out that it's currently concepted that way); speculating that it won't be seems kind of silly.

Sitara said:

Etc etc/.

That would certainly make the most logical sense to me.

It also would help for buying new books or bringing in new people. If you use a class from PHB2, and you want expansion material, then you need martial 2 ... but not Martial 1 or 3. If you don't use PHB2 at all, you can skip Martial/Arcane/etc 2. Yeah, you'll probably miss some generic stuff, but not so much as now.

Sadrik

First Post
Sitara said:

Etc etc/.
Wait a minute.
Are you saying:
PHB I (Arcane, Divine, Martial)
Martial power I
Arcane Power I
Divine Power I
PHB II (Psychic, Shadow)
Martial Power II
Arcane Power II
Divine Power II
Psychic Power I
Shadow Power I
PHB III (Primal, Tech)
Martial Power III
Arcane Power III
Divine Power III
Psychic Power II
Shadow Power II
Primal Power I
Tech Power I

That is a lot of damn books. Some consolidation would be welcome there. I don't think they can dupe people into buying 7 power books in the 3rd year.

MaelStorm

First Post
Sadrik said:
Wait a minute.
Are you saying:
Martial power I
Arcane Power I
Divine Power I
PHB II (Psychic, Shadow)
Martial Power II
Arcane Power II
Divine Power II
Psychic Power I
Shadow Power I
PHB III (Primal, Tech)
Martial Power III
Arcane Power III
Divine Power III
Psychic Power II
Shadow Power II
Primal Power I
Tech Power I

That is a lot of damn books. Some consolidation would be welcome there. I don't think they can dupe people into buying 7 power books in the 3rd year.

The way I see it, it would probably be:

Martial power
Arcane Power
Divine Power

PHB II (Primal, Shadow)
Primal Power
Shadow Power

PHBIII (Psychic, Ki)
Ki Power
Psychic Power

PHBIV (no new power sources but expanding rules like PHDII 3.5 did)
Complete Controlers
Complete Defenders
Complete Leaders
Complete Strikers

No tech power source, not sure it is very important IMO.

Last edited:

Sitara

Explorer
Sadrik said:
Wait a minute.
Are you saying:
Martial power I
Arcane Power I
Divine Power I
PHB II (Psychic, Shadow)
Martial Power II
Arcane Power II
Divine Power II
Psychic Power I
Shadow Power I
PHB III (Primal, Tech)
Martial Power III
Arcane Power III
Divine Power III
Psychic Power II
Shadow Power II
Primal Power I
Tech Power I

Nope,I'm saying:

Martial power I
Arcane Power I
Divine Power I
PHB II (Psychic, Shadow)
Psychic Power I
Shadow Power I
PHB III (Primal, Tech)
Primal Power I
Tech Power I

((It should also be noted there will probably be an arcane and a martial powersource in all the pHB's. (expcet MAYBE the psionic one) So we will certainly see martial power II, etc. Hey, wizards adn warriors are popular))

See the idea is that the power books will only expand upon the PHB they draw from, and not the others. Though they will certianly toss in stuff from the classes gone before so that more people buy them, (for instance, psionic books are never as popular as the arcane magic ones, as everyone knows) Also, campaign splats (FRCS, Eberron, Dragonlance, etc) will also see material on possible all classes relased upto that setting splats publishing date.

Also, this time around we will see books influenced by demand as never before; the way classes are organized, wotc will be able to clearly see which PHB sells the most, and thus they will focus on splats for that one above all. So if PHBIII turns out to have the highest sales, you will see material on PHBIII classes not just in their respective powerbooks, but also elsewhere (such as in the FRCS series of splats)

Last edited:

MaelStorm said:
The way I see it, it would probably be:

Martial power
Arcane Power
Divine Power

PHB II (Primal, Shadow)
Primal Power
Shadow Power

PHBIII (Psychic, Ki)
Ki Power
Psychic Power

PHBIV (no new power sources but expanding rules like PHDII 3.5 did)
Complete Controlers
Complete Defenders
Complete Leaders
Complete Strikers

No tech power source, not sure it is very important IMO.
I see there being a demand for tech, with some expressing an interest in steamtech type material. Now granted we have no idea which category the Artificer will go into, but there's certainly room for the niche of a tech power source.

MaelStorm

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
I see there being a demand for tech, with some expressing an interest in steamtech type material. Now granted we have no idea which category the Artificer will go into, but there's certainly room for the niche of a tech power source.

True.

There could also be the Alchemist, Engineer, Tinkerer, etc classes as powered by Tech Source
There could be also a Shaman, Voodoo, Hexblade, Witch, Astrologer, Diviner, etc classes powered by the Spirit Source

They could be covered in both PHBII and PHBIII as additional power sources.
And this would just bring more choices variety and fun, I agree.

But my opinion is not important. In the end, it is everyone's opinion that is. And frankly I don't see why WotC would not exploit these segments in their books. I am not close minded.

Rechan

Adventurer
MaelStorm said:
There could be also a Shaman, Hexblade
Bet you a dollar the Shaman/Witch/Voodoo, or shaman-like abilities come into play with a Primal Leader, and the Hexblade is the Shadow defender.

Remove ads