What 3.x books to get for 4e?

vagabundo

Adventurer
I was thinking of getting some 3e - dead tree - books to supplement my 4e gaming.

I'm open to any suggestions, but would be more interested in books with d20 sub-systems that would be easy to convert 4e.

I don't have much 3e stuff, aside for the core books. One that sprang to mind was Weapons of Legacy.

EDIT: Oh I got Pathfinder Creatures Revisited and was very happy with it. I use the ideas to bring a bit of life to those Goblyns...

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Well, I've found adventure path-like series to be good resources for a number of different games other than 3e. I think that ENWorld's Burning Sky adventure series and the Pathfinder adventures may be worth your time, if you're looking for idea mines. Also, the Warlords of the Accordlands stuff is good (and dirt cheap at several places online).

Aus_Snow

First Post
Unearthed Arcana. Maybe Heroes of Horror. Because you specified subsystems. . .

Plus a number of books I like, but am not sure about converting. . . 4e not being one of my strong suits.

That's WotC only, mind you. Or are 3rd party books OK too?

vagabundo

Adventurer
Well, I've found adventure path-like series to be good resources for a number of different games other than 3e. I think that ENWorld's Burning Sky adventure series and the Pathfinder adventures may be worth your time, if you're looking for idea mines. Also, the Warlords of the Accordlands stuff is good (and dirt cheap at several places online).

I've beeing looking at some savage tide stuff online and I think I will try and run it for 4e. Was that only published in Dungeon mags? or is there a physical version?

I'll check out the Warlords stuff too. tks.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Unearthed Arcana. Maybe Heroes of Horror. Because you specified subsystems. . .

Plus a number of books I like, but am not sure about converting. . . 4e not being one of my strong suits.

That's WotC only, mind you. Or are 3rd party books OK too?

Yeah 3rd party stuff is fine, I like stuff with good art and a bit of polish, but anything goes really.

I'll check out the two you mentioned. tks.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I've beeing looking at some savage tide stuff online and I think I will try and run it for 4e. Was that only published in Dungeon mags? or is there a physical version?

Only in the mags (as was the Age of Worms AP). It seems that publishing a hardcover for both (such as The Shackled City AP hardcover) was something that Paizo wanted to pursue, but that WotC would not approve.

For Warlords stuff on the cheap, try Troll & Toad.

I like the idea of skill tricks in Complete Scoundrel. I don't know 4e well enough to know if something like that already exists or is even possible given the omission of skill points and ranks. I think the ability to do those types of tricks as mini-powers or mini-feats would do well in 4e.

Remove ads