D&D 4E What 4E Adventures are Best for Conversion to 5E?

I've just remembered a trilogy of adventures featuring yuan-ti that takes place in a locale called Elkridge. I know the first two are Remains of the Empire (featuring the ruins of a floating dragonborn fortress) and Force of Nature (featuring a gargantuan archfey elk under mind control by the yuan-ti). Does anyone recall the name of the third one? I know it features a yuan-ti army and a bandit queen with a tie to Kord.

I've also always wondered about the epic tier adventure Winter of the Witch, which features an archfey called Koliada. The Ziggurat Beyond Time also left a lasting impression, with a number of interesting-looking set pieces and a new Far Realm enemy faction.

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
For a one-shot, I'd streamline Cairn of the Winter King.
Has undead, battling the elements with a flying vessel (Exploration Pillar) and a cairn somewhere in the frozen north. The BBEG can also be defeated via the Social Pillar.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to add, in case it's not obvious, that the various chapters of "Scales of War" can be excerpted to run as one-shots.

S'mon

Legend
Several of the Goodman 4E Adventures- Mists of Madness is great for a oneshot in particular.

My group enjoyed that a lot in 4e, and I'd think it would work even better in 5e.
Took us 3 3 hour sessions in 4e:
So I can see it being done in one long 5e session.

In general I thought most of the Goodman 4e adventures were good, I liked them much more than their 3e ones.

S'mon

Legend
I've just remembered a trilogy of adventures featuring yuan-ti that takes place in a locale called Elkridge. I know the first two are Remains of the Empire (featuring the ruins of a floating dragonborn fortress) and Force of Nature (featuring a gargantuan archfey elk under mind control by the yuan-ti). Does anyone recall the name of the third one? I know it features a yuan-ti army and a bandit queen with a tie to Kord.

I've also always wondered about the epic tier adventure Winter of the Witch, which features an archfey called Koliada. The Ziggurat Beyond Time also left a lasting impression, with a number of interesting-looking set pieces and a new Far Realm enemy faction.

I wantee to run Winter of the Witch but on close inspection did not like it all, seemed much too linear. So I kept the villain and did my own adventure around her.

Aldarc

Legend
When I saw the title, this was one of my first thoughts.

If you can find it, look for the Reavers of Harkenwold, which was part of the 4e Dungeon Master's Kit. It was written by two people who are great at adventures and DMing: Rich Baker and Christopher Perkins. It's a level 2 to 4 adventure.

I would also look up a lot of the Chaos Scar materials from Dungeon magazine.

fjw70

Adventurer
I have converted several 4e adventures for 5e (such as Demon Queen’s Enclave and Madness at Gardmore Abbey) and they have worked great. We are going through the 4e Dungeon Mag version of Baba Yaga’s hut currently.

I even tweak the 4e stat blocks on the fly and just run the monsters from that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases