D&D 4E What 4E books had later printings that were errata'd?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Over the last year or so, I've grown more and more interested in the history of D&D. In addition to reading Playing at the World, as well as Shannon Appelcline's histories over at DnDClassics, I've been buying a lot of out-of-print materials from previous editions.

Given that 5E will almost certainly premier at this year's Gen Con, I'm interested in picking up some books from its immediate predecessor. However, while things like Echohawk's list help identify what books there were, it doesn't take into account printings.

I don't know if the 4E books incorporated errata into subsequent printings, but if they did then I'm interesting in knowing what the last printings were so I can focus on them when I go book-hunting. Can anyone confirm that later printings incorporated errata, and if so what the last printings are for the various titles that had them?

Quickleaf

Legend
Over the last year or so, I've grown more and more interested in the history of D&D. In addition to reading Playing at the World, as well as Shannon Appelcline's histories over at DnDClassics, I've been buying a lot of out-of-print materials from previous editions.

Given that 5E will almost certainly premier at this year's Gen Con, I'm interested in picking up some books from its immediate predecessor. However, while things like Echohawk's list help identify what books there were, it doesn't take into account printings.

I don't know if the 4E books incorporated errata into subsequent printings, but if they did then I'm interesting in knowing what the last printings were so I can focus on them when I go book-hunting. Can anyone confirm that later printings incorporated errata, and if so what the last printings are for the various titles that had them?
Good question. I haven't noticed errata updates by printing in the 4e books I've seen.

Of course, new books like the Rules Compendium have incorporated errata released at the time the book was out out.

Dungeoneer

First Post

Sadly, I'm fairly sure that none of the reprintings reflect the copious errata that was applied to 4e. As the poster above said, it appears that in WotC's eyes the Essentials books served this purpose (even though they divided the rules up quite differently from the original core books).

It's too bad since monster math, stealth rules and the target DCs for skill checks/challenges were all heavily revised a year or two in. Other Big Changes that stand out in my mind are the addition of optional stat bonuses for all the major classes and altering Magic Missile to be an auto-hit spell.

pedr

Explorer
The special edition versions of the PH, DMG, and MM incorporated the first set of released errata, but I don't know whether later printings of the standard versions did so, or included later errata.

herrozerro

First Post
Sadly, I'm fairly sure that none of the reprintings reflect the copious errata that was applied to 4e. As the poster above said, it appears that in WotC's eyes the Essentials books served this purpose (even though they divided the rules up quite differently from the original core books).

It's too bad since monster math, stealth rules and the target DCs for skill checks/challenges were all heavily revised a year or two in. Other Big Changes that stand out in my mind are the addition of optional stat bonuses for all the major classes and altering Magic Missile to be an auto-hit spell.

the big ones you mention monster math, steal rules and DCs are all in later books, stealth was in the PHB2 I believe. But yes, besides the deluxe books of the core 3 I do not believe any books were ever reprinted.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I'll be at Gen Con this year. I wonder would anyone be interested in a bunch of 4e books. I'll probably keep the original 3 just for completeness sake. I'd definitely be up for selling the others though if anyone is interested.

Remove ads