• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What about the healing skill?

YRUSirius

First Post
Given that skills itself should be an optional component, so that oldschool players could play without backgrounds and skills, how could the healing "action" (rolling wisdom to treat wounds, first aid) IN THIS CURRENT PLAYTEST work?

Most of the mundane healing in the playtest is handled by the use of the healer's kit (short rest hit point regeration through hit dice, automatically stabilize a dying ally).

I haven't seen an "healing" section in the "common tasks" section in the "DM Guidelines" playtest document.

Given that skills are optional, the healing action (and skill therefore) could give something like a bonus on mundane healing. Maybe something like the following in the "common tasks" section?

Heal
A character can treat wounds and use first aid.

Healing typically requires a Wisdom check and an action.

If the wounds of a character are treated and a use of a healer's kit is expended he can regain 1 extra hit die without actually spending it.

You typically use first aid to stabilize a dying character without a healing kit.

Heal DC
Treat Wounds 11
First Aid 15
In the CURRENT PLAYTEST could this even help with the amount of healing (if more healing is needed)?

-YRUSirius

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Without spending HD?
That's pretty powerful.

A good module for a megadungeon style game but too powerful for core. You'll be healing 20-30% of a PC's HP at ~3 gp at a time with a healer on your party.

YRUSirius

First Post
You'd get one extra hit die that you would not have to spend (you'd have to expend a use of a healer's kit though). The other hit dice that you want to regain you'd have to spend normally.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my description.

-YRUSirius

No, I think it should not be an extra hit die...

I would rather have you make a check to let someone use his hit die, and make a healers kit only grant advantage for the check.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I think this is an opportunity to use the expanded idea of skills, ie: they aren't all just +3 to checks. If you are trained, then a patient expending a hit die in your care can roll no lower than your Wisdom modifier (as well as +3 to the various healing checks that might come up during the game).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads