• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Actors do You Find to Be Warning Flags

Alhazred

First Post
Ever since Snake Eyes I get nervous when someone says, "There's a new Nicholas Cage movie out, let's go see it."

With the possible exception of Will Farrell and Mike Meyers, the current batch of SNL actors don't inspire much confidence in me (Frankly, of the Austin Powers movies, I only enjoyed the first one.)

Ben Stiller. I enjoyed There's Something About Mary, and Dodgeball wasn't bad (perhaps because he wasn't the lead) , but I hated Zoolander and his other films. His father, Jerry Stiller, is excellent.

Christopher Lambert and any wrestler-turned-actor.

Last edited:

Villano

First Post
Enchantress said:
How did you see Sleepy Hollow as a comedy? Edward Scissorhands is considered a comedy as well, but while their were funny parts, I still consider it to be a tradgedy/drama.

His role in that film was more comedic than the actual movie. The same could be said of Ed Wood now that I think about it. That movie was a biography, but the role was played for laughs.

Basically, when he's trying to be funny - Good. When he's trying to be serious - Bad.

Particle_Man

Explorer
D+1 said:
Little tidbit I heard/read several years ago, but don't take it as gospel. Steven Spielberg apparantly said of Carrey that if a good director could tame his off-the-wall kind of energy and antics that he could be one of the greatest actors of his generation. I have ever since really seen that to be true - but it hasn't yet happened. Got close in a few movies but just one silly face seems to blow it. If he could BE serious through an entire movie he could be REALLY good.

Try him in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". He was tamed and he was goooooood.

Someone

Adventurer
Villano said:
No, seriously, he was. He moved to Switzerland when he was two. I'm not sure what language they speak there. I did a quick search and the closest I got was that schools there teach "the official language of Switzerland". Is it just Swiss?

IIRC official swiss languages include French, German and Italian. That could explain Lambert´s accent.

Back to topic, I´d include Antonio Banderas in the list. Edit: And they are not actors, but any film with burning arrows. Burning arrows mean bad movie.

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
David Caruso was pretty good in NYPD Blues. Then he turned into a big screen warning sign. He later became a big television warning sign.

David Duchovny was great as Fox Mulder of the X-Files. Now he is a big screen warning sign if there ever was one.

Eddie Murphy after the second Beverly Hills Cop.

Jackie Chan (though I love him and see everything he does, it still sucks).

Future prediction: Orlando Bloom. He had the luck of ending up in three high profile flicks in his early career, true. But his lack of talent will become apparant and he will become THE GREATEST WARNING SIGN OF ALL TIME.

Berandor

lunatic
Any male cast member from American Pie (except for Eugene Levy).
Any cast member from "Scooby Doo" (except for Seth Green, who was in II)
Ashton Kutcher (though I'm curious to see Butterfly effect and change my mind)
Cuby Gooding, Jr.
Halle Berry (or for that matter, any movie by a recent Oscar winner)
Any Hollywood movie with an Asian Action star.
Sean Connery, Nowadays
Meryl Streep just isn't in movies that I like.
Diane Kruger is a new addition

Enchantress

First Post
Villano said:
His role in that film was more comedic than the actual movie. The same could be said of Ed Wood now that I think about it. That movie was a biography, but the role was played for laughs.

Basically, when he's trying to be funny - Good. When he's trying to be serious - Bad.

As far as the biography thing goes, in Man on the Moon Jim Carrey was doing jokes throught the whole thing, but it's still really emotional at the end. Just because Ed Wood had laughs, doesn't mean it wasn't dramatic in its own way. Although, the guy WAS a cross-dresser.....

I like Depp in Everything. I don't think I've seen a movie I haven't at least partially enjoyed with him in it. Ex. Secret Window is a serious movie for him, and I thought he did good. Not to mention From Hell, in which I thought he was just as good.
....But then again, I do think he is sexy as hell. So what do I care if the movie's he does are bad or good, as long as he's in them? ;) :p :lol:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Berandor said:
Any cast member from "Scooby Doo" (except for Seth Green, who was in II)

Still think Matthew Lillard makes a stellar Shaggy, though.

The rest... meh. But the Shaggy was great.

-Hyp.

Remove ads