• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What alignment are the cops on The Shield?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The money train is the third season, although they start planning it in the second, as I recall.

The new season starts in April. There's a bridging episode to lead up to the new season on the Web site (or it will be soon). DO NOT SEE IT IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN ALL OF THE LAST SEASON, since it's a huge spoiler for the finale.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Storm Raven said:
But I still watch every episode rooting for him to make it just one more week.

Exactly.

Everytime my wife and I sit down to watch this show and we think "Yeah, the strike team is DONE." Vic and the crew are always able to pull something out of their rear ends to save thier necks.

boredgremlin

Banned
Banned
So far i have watched the whole show and heres how i rank them and why. At first i thought this would be easy but i read over everyone elses thoughts and put a little time into wondering on this one, heres what i came up with.

Vic-chaotic good. He messed up, he made some mistakes and broke the law... but the laws he broke were mainly to put bad people away who wouldnt have otherwise gone away. Or to protect decent people. Sure he covered his own butt, but having a sense of self preservation doesnt make you evil, it makes you human.

No good people were hurt by his actions and who knows how many good people were NOT victimized by the people he broke the rules to put away? Chaotic good is about doing the right thing and to hell with the rules. If society has rules that protect bad people then the rules are wrong. Breaking laws doesnt make you evil. Niether does hurting evil people. Thats called eye for eye. Supported in every legal system, and most major religions for thousands of years. Justice is a principle that comes from people getting what they deserve, not from a man in a robe who happens to be a jumped up lawyer passing down judgements from on high.

Shane- Chaotic evil. He takes every advantage to make a buck or advance himself. He has even been willing to attempt to kill his old partners to get himself ahead some. Shane is a great example of chaotic evil but not chaotic stupid. He looks out for #1 has no respect or care for anyone else and will do anything to get what he wants no matter who it hurts.

Lem- Chaotic good. He also follows his principles rather then the law and goes out of his way to help people when he can. He breaks laws to put people who deserve it behind bars because they are bad people and deserve less then the good people they victimize.

In game terms there is a solid argument for his wisdom being mid to low as he lets people get him into bad situations without seeing the risk or speaking up until its too late. But a low wisdom does not affect you alignment.

Acaveda- Lawful Evil. All he cares about is his political advancement and power. He will break any rules, lie to anybody, plot, scheme, and fight to get his ends. The ends allways justify the means for him, and his ends are allways personal power at any cost. Thats lawful evil.

Dutch- Lawful good. He wants the best and works within the law to get it. But when the law doesnt comply he is a out of luck and looks to a chaotic person to get the job done. A few personal quirks dont keep him from being good. Sure he hit on a widow, but she had been a widow for quite a while. Having a dead spouse doesnt mean you cant ever date again or that its evil to ask you out. Being a perfectionist with poor social skills doesnt make you evil either. Evil is about your intent and to a lesser extent your means. Poor conversation skills does not make you a bad man, or your intentions evil.

Cluadette- Lawful nuetral. She doesnt seem to care about anything but the law. If people get screwed by it.... oh well, thats the law.

Danny- chaotic good. Tries her best, bends the rules a little too much to be lawful good but still still definately focused on getting the job done.

Julien- lawful stupid.... umm i mean good. A good well intentioned kid. He just has about as much common sense as god gave a mule. As nice as he is i dont think he could find his butt with both hands and a map unless someone else showed him the way.

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
t boredgremlin: Hi, I'm Terry Crowley. A well meaning kid who has reluctantly volunteered to help look into a charismatic cop that is running the drug trade though all his district. I don't like going after a fellow cop and I can't believe this family man is involved in that kind of -
HE JUST SHOT ME IN THE FACE!

Vic has hurt plenty of innocent people.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
DevoutlyApathetic said:
t boredgremlin: Hi, I'm Terry Crowley. A well meaning kid who has reluctantly volunteered to help look into a charismatic cop that is running the drug trade though all his district. I don't like going after a fellow cop and I can't believe this family man is involved in that kind of -
HE JUST SHOT ME IN THE FACE!

Vic has hurt plenty of innocent people.

Yeah, I like how I brought that up, like twice and it's conveniently ignored. First episode he shoots a fellow cop dead, but hey! he's a good guy...

Twowolves

Explorer
ShinHakkaider said:
Yeah, I like how I brought that up, like twice and it's conveniently ignored. First episode he shoots a fellow cop dead, but hey! he's a good guy...

When you write "fellow cop" a lot of other people read "traitorous scum".

Or have you never noticed how welcome IAD investigations are in ANY precinct?

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Twowolves said:
When you write "fellow cop" a lot of other people read "traitorous scum".

Or have you never noticed how welcome IAD investigations are in ANY precinct?

Yes, so that makes shooting them at point blank range in the head OK?

Sheeeeeeeesh, you people are scary.

boredgremlin

Banned
Banned
crowley didnt get involved just because he wanted to get justice or something. He was offered alot in compensation for his time and effort. I cant remember what exactly but i remember he was getting something extra for his work that was off the books.

So he was someone who took a bribe to befriend a person, make that person trust him with thier lives and then betray them once he learned enough secrets his employer wanted to know... There is nothing inherently good about having your honesty for sale. When you get paid to lie and betray people its only fair to expect those people to take actions against you when they find out.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
boredgremlin said:
crowley didnt get involved just because he wanted to get justice or something. He was offered alot in compensation for his time and effort. I cant remember what exactly but i remember he was getting something extra for his work that was off the books.

So he was someone who took a bribe to befriend a person, make that person trust him with thier lives and then betray them once he learned enough secrets his employer wanted to know... There is nothing inherently good about having your honesty for sale. When you get paid to lie and betray people its only fair to expect those people to take actions against you when they find out.

I...

Okay you guys win.

The IAD officer who's job it is to ferret out corrupt cops deserved to die at the hands of a corrupt cop. I mean, Vic is actually a dirty cop. Wasnt the argument made a few times upthread that Vic's actions are justified because the guys he's doing to are bad guys anyway? But an Internal Affairs Cop, is the bad guy? So I guess undercover cops who's job it is to put thier lives on the line to catch criminals deserve to die if the get found out too right? Because anyway you guys dress it up, Vic Mackey? He's a cold-blooded criminal who just happens to have a badge. And when you have guys like that running around, it's IAD's job to take him out of circulation. Terry was getting something extra because the department has suspected that Vic was involved in a lot of dirty stuff but have been unable to catch him in the act. If Crowley succeeded where so many have obviously failed then yes, he was offered something extra for that. But whew...glad he didnt, because it turns out that he was a lying scumbag anyway and deserved to be a slugcatcher. Got it.

I repeat...you people are frackin' SCARY.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads