D&D 1E What are examples of "gotchya" encounters from Gary Gygax?

Weiley31

Legend
If you're going Gygaxian, GO FULL GYGAXIAN!

The alien and strangely disturbing buildings of Erelhei-Cinlu are crowded together in a welter which confuse any not born and bred to the place. Its crooked, narrow streets and alleys are dimly illuminated by signs scribed in phosphorescent chemicals and occasional lichen growths or fire beetle cages. Not even the Drow are certain what horrors lurk in the sewers beneath, but the rooftops are home to many sorts of large, huge, and giant spiders.

The main ways of this ancient and depraved city are thronged with as unlikely a mixture of creatures as can be imagined. Green cloaked Illithids and Kuo-Toans rub shoulders with Dark Elves. Ghosts and ghouls roam freely, and an occasional shadow or vampire will be seen. Bugbears and troglodytes are common, as are other various servants and slaves of the Drow (dwarves, goblins, half-orcs, humans, and orcs are sometimes free inhabitants of the place). All are pale from dwelling in the sunless Vault. Trolls slink by evillooking men wearing the green garb. None are disturbed to pass a lesser demon or succubus, a night hag or mezzodaemon. These crowds part hurriedly for Noble Drow riding nightmares or the more powerful demons or nycadaemons (see special section at the end), but those of the Dark Elves with pack lizards must slowly force their way through traffic. Beggars of all sorts are seen, and half-Drow thieves, pimps, and harlots are as common as the enslaved human and elven prostitutes displayed before certain establishments.

Between 8,000 and 9,000 Drow live in the city, and double that number of half-casts, servants, and slaves. To this permanent population can be added a thousand or so creatures visiting for purposes known only to themselves. The tiers and dungeons of Erelhei-Cinlu reek of debauchery and decadence, and the city's inhabitants are degenerate and effete. (Those with any promise and ability are brought out of the place to serve the fighting societies, merchant clans or noble houses. The rest are left to wallow in the sinkhole of absolute depravity which is Erelhei-Cinlu.) The most popular places in the city are the gambling dens, bordellos, taverns, drug saloons, and even less savory shops along the two main streets. The back streets and alleyways too boast of brothels, poison shops, bars, and torture parlors. Unspeakable things transpire where the evil and jaded creatures seek pleasure, pain, excitement, or arcane knowledge, and sometimes these seekers find they are victims. All visitors are warned that they enter the back streets of the city at their peril.
This is all why I love Erelhei-Cinlu and the Drow series of Modules. Also the Alabaster Slab bordello is slightly disturbing.

Jmarso

Adventurer
Rot grubs
Green Slime
Yellow Mold
Rust Monsters

Those sorts of things. All the stuff that requires immediate action (implying you know what to do) or you basically die on the spot or a few rounds later. Stuff that eats your stuff, leaving you weaponless / armorless / even disrobed.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
By the way-

"What are examples of "gotchya" encounters from Gary Gygax?"

Am I the only one who keeps seeing this and reading it as "Gotye" encounters?

... I can't stand mimics ...

tumblr_mq3bejoxp41sb4py2o1_500.gif

That is, unfortunately, a quintessential D&D story of youth. I think many of us have stories where we started playing in a game, TPK'ed the first session, and that was it for that group!

Back in middle school, a friend of mine tried to start a D&D club at our school. A group of kids showed up to play. The first encounter was a group of rot grubs, which resulted in a TPK. The club broke up the same day it started.

Remove ads