D&D 5E What are some good magical items for a level 1 character?

aco175

Legend
I always liked a weapon with a ability other than +1 to hit or damage. Something like the returning property or silver would be good. Even something that grants +1d10 damage once per rest would be ok. A item like a wand that casts a 1st level spell 1nce per rest or a cantrip 3 times per rest is good as well.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
IMO, 5e is flexible and forgiving enough that I don't think it really matters. Give them something/anything you think would be fun and make for a good story. Weak stuff. Potent stuff. Whatever. Then just roll with it.

I've played 5e with few/sparse magic items. I've also played it with early, potent ones. Both played great. Differently, sure. But still fun in their own ways, none-the-less.

Check out the various lists of Trinkets that a character can start with at 1st level for ideas. Some of them are lame, but some of them are mysterious sounding enough that they could easily be turned into something more powerful as the character levels up and experiments with the trinket.

Tony Vargas

Legend
What are some good low power magical items for a level 1 character?
Healing potions.

I ask this because a campaign I run, each character starts with 1 unique magical item that they wear.
One thing you can do is pick out an item you think is cool for the particular character. If it's too powerful, tone it down, with attaining higher-level or significant accomplishment to 'un-lock' it.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'm going to say that the level of magic item appropriate for 1st level is:
Trinkets - the more magical ones - and the "random minor properties" like glowing when certain races are nearby, or at most a +2 initiative.

Googling "minor magical items" brings up a whole bunch of lists.

Definitely don't give them anything from the real treasure tables. I would even say that a consistent +2 to initiative is probably simultaneously too good and too boring.

Slit518

Adventurer
+10 Speed is a medium-power magic item. It is not broken at low levels, but it is something even a high-level character would desire, so I wouldn't call it "a little bit".

+1 attack is stupendous. Normally combat character gain their second attack only at fifth level, which is a huge bonus. I definitely recommend you stay away from any item that gives more attacks. At higher levels, check out the Haste spell and its limitations.

+4 HP on the other hand is a perfect low-level boon. This can be used as-is :)

I meant +1 to attack rolls, not +1 attack. Sorry for the confusion.

I will most likely use the website, http://lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php

Or I like the idea about the 1 use items, such as a potion or wand with one charge.

The reason the party gets these items to start is it's a "thank you" from their captor, or more appropriately, more of an aid.

aco175

Legend
IMO, 5e is flexible and forgiving enough that I don't think it really matters. Give them something/anything you think would be fun and make for a good story. Weak stuff. Potent stuff. Whatever. Then just roll with it.

I've played 5e with few/sparse magic items. I've also played it with early, potent ones. Both played great. Differently, sure. But still fun in their own ways, none-the-less.

I agree with this. 1st level only lasts one night of play and even 2nd and 3rd go by quickly enough that a cool item early can work out fine. You can reign in the items in the mid level if you are having problems. I have always gone with the idea of having fun as being the best indicator of a successful game.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Possible minor items:

- Self lighting lantern. Still requires oil but relights itself if blown out and the shutters are not closed within a few seconds/1 round.)

- Friendship stone: Matches other stones from the set's unique pattern. Can be used to verify the identity of someone claiming to be a/your friend. Useful in a world of illusions, shapeshifters and the like.

- Sing-Song Music box. Records and repeats 1 minute of spoken language. Useful for entertaining children and possibly recording the voice of target, to be used for blackmail/evidence later. Makes a distinct clicking as it records so those that have fallen foul of one before may know what to listen out for.

- Indestructible Spellbook Cover. Not literally indestructible, but does slip over a book and provide resistance to all elemental effects and comes with a waterproof guarantee up to 10 meters.

- Sandals of Comfort. No matter how far or hard you march, no blister upon thy heel shall ye feel!

- Bed Roll of Folding. As per standard Bed Roll, but 1/10th of the size and weight.

- Cloak of the Door. Once per day allows the user to throw it, over themselves or onto a wall, where upon it creates an immobile illusion of a door, as per Still Image.

- Clockwork Cat. As per Cat in the MM, but is made from delicate clockwork mechanisms. Does not require feeding but must still sleep as per Cat. Vulnerable to Lightning and Bludgeoning.

- Sword Eater. A magical sword that can eat other swords and take on their form. Essentially you're giving the PC an item with its own distinct personality, that can be upgraded through the levels by feeding on magical swords found. Is always of the form of the last sword eaten.

And so on. Just add some minor QOL effect of interesting gizmo, wrap it in MAGIC and you're good to go.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
I agree with this. 1st level only lasts one night of play and even 2nd and 3rd go by quickly enough that a cool item early can work out fine. You can reign in the items in the mid level if you are having problems. I have always gone with the idea of having fun as being the best indicator of a successful game.
Yeah. I'm a fan of letting my players have cool things because it increases the chance they will have fun using them. And having fun = winning at D&D.

Remove ads