D&D 5E What are some monsters that have interesting abilities but fail spectacularly in lore or appearance?

aco175

Legend
In my games it is the monsters that need magic weapons to damage normally. I tend to give out magic more than the 5e suggests and by the time the PCs are level 5 each PC has something. Things like elementals and such are good for levels 1-2 or 3, but after this they are not worth the CR. I have been thinking about making some resistant to +2 weapons to counter this.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
A lot of people think Flumphs are silly, but they have some interesting mechanics in 5E. Knocking one prone has a chance of incapacitating it, and they have a skunk-like Stench Spray ability that can be humorous in play.

Nebulous

Legend
I don't hate flumphs one bit, I think they're kinda cute/weird. I think we had some wild magic once that summoned a flock of them that followed a PC around.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Destrachans and Yrthaks are the only two I can think of as being incomprehnsible appearance, I recast both as being more bat like (with Destrachans becoming Douglas Dixons Nightstalkers)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The rust monster, at least some of the original art, was really goofy looking, which belied it's actual greatness.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Giants. I just don’t like the art. Mechanics could be spiced up but they get the job done. I especially despise the firbolgs in 5e they departed from a much better look.
Kinda like Geralt in Witcher 3 when you have the cool looking armor and to stay relevant you have to wear a gambeson that looks like it belonged to a jester.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The rust monster, at least some of the original art, was really goofy looking, which belied it's actual greatness.

Thats what I loved most about the Rust Monster - its a big cockroach with a helicopter tail that absolutely ravages the armoured fighters!!!

Remove ads