• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) What are the coolest plants IRL?

xiphumor

Legend
I want to make more plants (and plant-like creatures) so that Druids could be totally plant-based if they wanted to. I have some basic ideas (Cactids, Moss, Strangler Figs, Bamboo) but I’m trying to generate a good list to work from. What sounds like it would be cool?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I want to make more plants (and plant-like creatures) so that Druids could be totally plant-based if they wanted to. I have some basic ideas (Cactids, Moss, Strangler Figs, Bamboo) but I’m trying to generate a good list to work from. What sounds like it would be cool?

How's this? :devilish:
1656805770292.png

The only thing that eats them seems to be iguanas

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I like to imagine what a world with predatory plants would look like. Not just carnivorous, but -actively- predatory.

Firstly, they've got to be capable of movement, which means long-term rooting isn't -really- an option. Secondly, they need to be able to ingest their prey in some manner. Gain nutrients and do so quickly enough to not become a target, themself.

Most plants have a central stalk or trunk with branches or secondary stems, and then a root base that can be shallow, deep, thick, or thin.

Ultimately, because they are upright and I am bipedal, I tend to make them humanoid-ish at the least. But often enough I imagine them dropping onto all fours to run, which results in their limbs being approximately equal in length, giving an upright plant-predator a lanky appearance...

And for rooting and photosynthesis, the hallmarks of most plantlife? Nocturnal predation.

During the day, the plant-predator seeks a sunny spot with good soil and roots for the day, specifically thrusting taproots from the palm of each hand and the sole of each foot into the ground...

The same taproots they stab into their victims to drink nutrient-rich blood and adipose tissues under cover of darkness.

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
I like to imagine what a world with predatory plants would look like. Not just carnivorous, but -actively- predatory.

Firstly, they've got to be capable of movement, which means long-term rooting isn't -really- an option. Secondly, they need to be able to ingest their prey in some manner. Gain nutrients and do so quickly enough to not become a target, themself.

Most plants have a central stalk or trunk with branches or secondary stems, and then a root base that can be shallow, deep, thick, or thin.

Ultimately, because they are upright and I am bipedal, I tend to make them humanoid-ish at the least. But often enough I imagine them dropping onto all fours to run, which results in their limbs being approximately equal in length, giving an upright plant-predator a lanky appearance...

And for rooting and photosynthesis, the hallmarks of most plantlife? Nocturnal predation.

During the day, the plant-predator seeks a sunny spot with good soil and roots for the day, specifically thrusting taproots from the palm of each hand and the soul of each foot into the ground...

The same taproots they stab into their victims to drink nutrient-rich blood and adipose tissues under cover of darkness.
The Forest becomes a scary place after dark!

Remove ads