What Are The Greatest Ever D&D Books For Inspiring Adventures?

Jools

First Post
The thing I love about this forum the most is the incredible wisdom and experience it houses. I thought I'd try to tap some of that by asking you what you think are the greatest ever books for inspiring D&D adventures. I'm happy for Pathfinder and 3rd party books to be included. I'm not interested in actual modules themselves, I'm interested in campaign guides, location books, deity books and the like. Anything that makes you go "Wow! That gives me the most wonderful idea for an adventure." It doesn't matter if the adventure ideas are vague or pretty much spelled out for you - its all good.

The one thing that's key though, I only want to hear about books (or box sets) that are really, really good for this. I only started playing with 4th edition, so there's a lot I've missed out on. I'd be happy for people to fill me in. Finally, I'll give an example of a book I think fits this bill, the Neverwinter Campaign Setting. Its choc full of inspiring ideas.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Every single one of the old Mystara Gazetteers, and the Creature Crucible books. They all have specific themes that can be mined for ideas. For instance, The Orcs of Thar is the best monster nation book I have come across and talks at length about PC monster adventuring parties.

Dice4Hire

First Post
The 3.0 FRCS was one of the best for me. All the tidbits about areas of the realms was great for inspiring adventures.

And I do not even play FR.

I agree about Neverwinter also. It is great for telling a DM how to play a sandbox.

The 2E Van Richten Guide books were the best things I ever bought. Endless sources of inspiration for monster investigations. Brought my Ravenloft games to a new level.

Aramax

First Post
The 1e Wilderness and Dungeon Survival Guides. I go back to them to this day for ideas.
Wow to each his own! I looked for the guy that wrote the Wilderness Survival Guide to insult him(I found him!) because I thought it was such a waste of money.Didnt you think the total LACK of fantasy elements frustrating?I sure did.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Wow to each his own! I looked for the guy that wrote the Wilderness Survival Guide to insult him(I found him!) because I thought it was such a waste of money.Didnt you think the total LACK of fantasy elements frustrating?I sure did.

I suppose it is a difference in taste. I find that my fantasy is all the more fantastic when it has a sound basis in "mundanity". Nothing is less magical than the twentieth technicolor snowstorm. But one blizzard, realistically described, with the addition of a few subtle magical effects, can send my players off with chills.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads