D&D 5E What are the highlights of D&D 5th edition for you?

trACT

Explorer
I just like the visuals and browsing the books. I don't get a lot of opportunities to play, but like the collection of books I have built up since 2014.

Last edited:

Ondath

Hero
While many people rightly criticise 5e's "natural language" approach as well as the vagueness of its rules right now, I think those were the right moves to make in 2014. Sure, 5e is still a complex game, and the designers ended up iterating on the "natural language" in a way that it no longer sounds natural (Crawfooord!). But coming from 3.5/Pathfinder 1E to 5E was such a breath of fresh air. Compared to these editions, the rules were much more compact, simple and intuitive. I don't think D&D would be as popular as it did if it stuck to the same complexity as it had before 2014, and while the problems of that approach have become visible with a decade's worth of hindsight, it was still a wonderful at the time.

Ondath

Hero
Also, in terms of highlights as in "the best books of the era", I think the run of books from March 2016 to May 2018 was a great time to be a 5e fan. Back to back, we had:
  • Curse of Strahd, still one of the most popular 5e modules,
  • Storm King's Thunder, a great adventure,
  • Volo's, a significant expansion to the monster roster with interesting lore sections (most of which are sadly unavailable today),
  • Tales from the Yawning Portal, which updated many classic modules to 5e,
  • Tomb of Annihilation, a great hexcrawl adventure for 5e,
  • Xanathar's Guide to Everything, IMO the single best rules expansion book for 5e,
  • Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, which added so many interesting (and high-level!) monsters, dropped a ton of great lore on Elves, demons, devils, dwarves, gnomes, halflings and gith (all of which are, again, sadly unavailable for purchase)
I remember getting excited for each release on /r/dndnext during that time, and it felt like 5e could only improve and go up.

Clint_L

Hero
While many people rightly criticise 5e's "natural language" approach as well as the vagueness of its rules right now, I think those were the right moves to make in 2014. Sure, 5e is still a complex game, and the designers ended up iterating on the "natural language" in a way that it no longer sounds natural (Crawfooord!). But coming from 3.5/Pathfinder 1E to 5E was such a breath of fresh air. Compared to these editions, the rules were much more compact, simple and intuitive. I don't think D&D would be as popular as it did if it stuck to the same complexity as it had before 2014, and while the problems of that approach have become visible with a decade's worth of hindsight, it was still a wonderful at the time.
Oh, I totally agree. Working with lots of beginners makes you appreciate how comprehensible the rules are for such a complex game. I very much hope that style is retained for the 2024 revisions; I very much think the advantages FAR outweigh any disadvantages.

Remove ads