• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the ideal % of success for PCs succeeding skills?

% chance of success when attempting a task should be:

• 33% trained / 0% untrained (i.e.: d6 roll, 1-2 tr but no untr)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50% trained / 0% untrained

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45% trained / 15% untrained (i.e.: base C&C Siege check)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 66% trained / 33% untrained (i.e.: d6 roll, 1-4 tr or 1-2 untr)

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 75% trained / 25% untrained

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • other

Votes: 2 14.3%

Turanil

First Post
Thinking again about houseruling skills (and using a much shorter skill list), I got to think about the method (how to get them, skill-points or not, what dice to roll, what the difficulty level, etc.) and the percentage chances of success it could give. But now my question is about the % chance at succeeding at a skill check : how much it should be for the game being fun?

In fact, whatever random method you use (1d6 roll in AD&D 1e ; proficiencies checks in 2e ; skills in 3e ; siege checks in C&C ; etc.), in the end it all boils down to a percentage chance of success. For example, rolling 1 or 2 on a d6 wields 33% chances of success; rolling a 18 or better on a d20 wields 15% of success; etc. So, with this in mind, I would like to determine what are the most appropriate chance of succeeding at a task for a PC, for a game being fun (fun is the concern, not realism). Obviously, succeeding at a task only once in ten times isn't fun; but likewise succeeding 90% of the time may become boring (the game loses its fun that stems from uncertainty).

Hence this thread and this poll to get your opinion. I once read that a survey did indicate that players generally prefer that a "trained" character would be able to succeed 70% of the time. I could base myself on this, but I want to hear what you think. That is : what should be the base chance of success at a task for a trained character, and for an untrained character. I mean, for something that requires a roll, thus something deems relatively difficult, not something easy that should not call for a roll.

(Hope the question makes sense? :confused: )

Turanil

First Post
For those curious... My own radically compressed skill list is :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acrobatics: DEX, (Balance, Climb, Tightrope walking, Tumbling, Escape bonds)

Athletics: STR, (Endurance, Jump, Swim, Bend Bars, Break Doors, Move heavy objects, etc.)

Deception: CHA, (Bluff, Disguise, Forgery, Scams, etc.)

Healing: WIS, (First Aid, Treat Injury, Surgery and HP-recovering potential)

Knowledge: INT, (choose one of the five following specialties)
1) Knowledge: Mundane (local + geography + history + heraldry + culture + etiquette, etc.)
2) Knowledge: Arcane (spellcraft, lore about magical things, etc.)
3) Knowledge: Religion (various faiths, planes, etc.)
4) Knowledge: Nature (flora and fauna, survival, tracking, etc.)
5) Knowledge: Military (enemies' usual strategies, armies' organizations, engineering of war-machines and castles, etc.)
6) etc.

Language: INT, (Read and Write own language, + one additional language per Int bonus point.)

Manipulation: DEX, (Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, Pick Pocket, Use Rope, Disable Device, Remove Traps, etc.)

Notice: WIS, (Spot, Listen, Smell, Taste, limited Sense-motive, etc.)

Persuasion: CHA, (Diplomacy, Gather information, Bargaining, Intimidate)

Profession: INT, (Merges together craft, profession and perform. Choose one activity such as Weaponsmithing / Carpenter / Juggler / Musician / Mariner / etc. This skill is the ability to craft / practice / trade / etc. the chosen activity, then to make a living from it, assess if others do it well, etc.)
1) Profession: Merchant (assess mundane items' approximate value and determine if unusual/rare items are junk or high quality, know where and to whom sell the item for best profits, etc.)
2) Profession: Smuggler (streetwise, merchant of illegal things, black market, etc.)
3) Profession: Robber (Innuendo/thief's cant; determine what's best to steal in a hurry; Search, etc.)
4) Profession: Investigator (Search, knowledge of laws, etc.)
5) etc.

Riding: WIS, (Ride + Animal handling of mount species)

Stealth: DEX, (Hide, Move Silently)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There would be two levels of result that can be accomplished with the skills: untrained can only do basic things, trained can do complex things. For example, trained in Notice would help discern that a thief masquerading as a soldier doesn't look like a consummate warrior, and doesn't wear his weapons as a true soldier would. But untrained you would only notice that the guy's chainmail seems a little too large for him (although it doesn't lend in itself to useful conclusions).

Last edited:

Ilium

First Post
I voted 45/15 but actually I'd prefer about 70/10. If a character is meant to be good at something they should succeed at it more often than not, but if they're not trained I still like them to be able to pull it off occasionally (unless it's an obscure skill that can't be used untrained).

I like your differentiation between trained/untrained skills.

Kerrick

First Post
When I'm working on variant skill-based systems (Craft, frex) I figure that someone trained in the skill, with near-max ranks, should succeed about 50% of the time. I never really thought about untrained; someone with 0 ranks shouldn't be able to succeed more than 10% of the time, and someone with cross-class ranks would be somewhere around 20-30%, I guess.

Wystan

Explorer
Kerrick said:
When I'm working on variant skill-based systems (Craft, frex) I figure that someone trained in the skill, with near-max ranks, should succeed about 50% of the time. I never really thought about untrained; someone with 0 ranks shouldn't be able to succeed more than 10% of the time, and someone with cross-class ranks would be somewhere around 20-30%, I guess.

If most Crafters who were Really good -
Kerrick said:
someone trained in the skill, with near-max ranks
- only succeeded about 50% of the time, we would have a REALLY expensive society as a 50% failure rate would drive most people to stop even trying (and remember you stated that this is the Really good ones....)

I personally think that a Trained Crafter who is maxed in his ranks should succeed at appropriate tasks 90% of the time or more, and less as the training becomes less complete and or the task becomes more complex/difficult.

Example:
Swordsmith creating a Longsword -
1. Max Trained Swordsmith (skill about 10 total) should only fail making a longsword 1-2% of the time.
2. Apprentice Swordsmith (Skill about 5 total) should fail making a longsword 20-30% of the time
3. Joe Untrained Swordsmith (Skill 0-1 total) should fail 90% of the time.

Swordsmith Creating a Quicksilver Longsword -
1. Max Trained Swordsmith (skill about 10 total) should only fail making a Quicksilver longsword 10% of the time.
2. Apprentice Swordsmith (Skill about 5 total) should fail making a Quicksilver longsword 40-50% of the time
3. Joe Untrained Swordsmith (Skill 0-1 total) should fail 99.999% of the time.

Last edited:

avr

First Post
I think skill checks need to succeed most of the time if the players are to be able to make any sort of plans, especially if you may require multiple checks. I voted 75/25.

Remove ads