D&D 3E/3.5 What are the "problem" spells in 3E?

Taren Seeker

First Post
Cloudgatherer said:
So a Contingency False Vision might be useful, but by the time one can cast Contingency, aren't there much better spells to hide from scrying?

Possibly, but it not only blocks scrying automatically, it allows the caster to create disinformation if he so desires.

Create a vision of the party sleeping with no guard set, but in actuality you're all spelled up and ready to jump anyone teleporting in. Or you can just radically alter the image of the area causing teleports to misfire.

Not the greatest spell in the world, but there's at least one decent use for it.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I think screen trumps that big time, not only for scrying but for observation as well.

Can anyone provide me a link to one of the Mind Blank thread? Please don't debate that spell here, I just want to read the thread on the topic....

Taren Seeker

First Post
Screen is an 8th level spell, and although it lasts 1 day I think it's immobile meaning that the party can't travel with it running.

Also, it has a 10 minute casting time meaning that it can't be cast quickly in response to detecting a scrying attempt.

IceBear

Explorer
I don't have the URL for the mindblank thread(S), but if I remember correctly it blocks discern location (at least according to the FAQ).

IceBear

Psifon

First Post
I just cant get behind the idea that fly is broken. Sure it allows you to avoid a lot of encounters, but your whole party can't (until very high levels). It is mostly used by sorcerers and wizards, who are pretty much dog meat without it.

Face it, if these classes take damage at all they have screwed up some place. If they take damage twice they are dead. This gripe about fly is made by DM's who get frustrated with not being able to tag the wizard. If a wizard is played correctly, you are not SUPPOSED to be able to tag him. Once in a while as a DM you are supposed to throw an encounter that is specifically designed to get around a wizard's common defenses. This keeps the wizard sweating.

Just don't nerf the ability that keeps him from being attacked by trolls. You just need to come up with something more creative than a pack of trolls to hit him with. One round of base to base contact with a similar CR monster, and the average wizard is dead. That is why we have fly.

gfunk

First Post
A sorcerer with the spells Fly, Improved Invisiblity, and Non-Detection can be a terror in combat.

But then again, so can a Rogue with a Ring of Blinking and a Ghost Touch weapon . . .

Cloudgatherer

First Post
So I've been going through all the spells we have been discussing, writing down problems and possible solutions I've seen in the past. Many have been discussed in this thread, others I've seen in the past.

I've tried to not interject any personal bias or house rules in the document I've created. Any comments are welcomed.

If you'd like to debate the balance/house rules/whatever of a particular spell, create a new thread to address it. I'd only like to see spells and a listed reason for a house rule or modification.

Later!

<EDIT>
Moved the document down farther.
</EDIT>

Last edited:

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
MerakSpielman said:
...players with IQs of 150+...

You have multiples of those? I have one around 135-40... maybe. 150 IQ is what, 1 promille of the population... you have a gifted group! I think you made a typo, or are taking internet IQ tests far too seriously... according to one, I had an IQ of 137... yeah right. I have an IQ of 121, and commune hasn't posed me too many problms... of course I plan ahead. I know they will get the ability to cast that spell sooner or later.

Rav

Remove ads