D&D 3E/3.5 What are the "problem" spells in 3E?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Anubis said:

What exactly to you mean by that? Just for your information, it's a woman, not a man.

It was just a point buy rpg joke. You know the games where you take disadvantages for some extra points to spend on your character. And nice, its a women I'm lazy to he or she it all the time, and there isn't a appropriate gender neutral pronoun in the english language yet that I'm aware of. I suppose I could always type the person :rolleyes:

Dr. NRG

First Post
...but what's her charisma?

I apologize for the sarcasm, but I find watching roleplayers' tendency define real-world people by a stat block amusing.

bret

First Post
Looking through the thread, I didn't see mention of Telekinesis: Violent Thrust.

Use the TK with a light weapon. Shurikin generally cause the least argument, although arrows as a melee weapon would also do it.

Carry the maximum weight of these and use TK: Violent Thrust to toss them at a single opponent. That is a lot of to-hit rolls and potentially a lot of damage.

You can easily exceed the baseline damage value for a spell of it's level by just maximizing the dmg/weight ratio of your weapons and using the TK. Moving the stuff around really isn't a problem with something like Tenser's Floating Disc or the various extradimentional spaces available.

BTW: The document would be a lot more useful if I could read it. PDF, HTML, or text.

Anubis

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:

It was just a point buy rpg joke. You know the games where you take disadvantages for some extra points to spend on your character. And nice, its a women I'm lazy to he or she it all the time, and there isn't a appropriate gender neutral pronoun in the english language yet that I'm aware of. I suppose I could always type the person :rolleyes:

Ah, okay, I understand.

Anubis

First Post
bret said:
Looking through the thread, I didn't see mention of Telekinesis: Violent Thrust.

Use the TK with a light weapon. Shurikin generally cause the least argument, although arrows as a melee weapon would also do it.

Carry the maximum weight of these and use TK: Violent Thrust to toss them at a single opponent. That is a lot of to-hit rolls and potentially a lot of damage.

You can easily exceed the baseline damage value for a spell of it's level by just maximizing the dmg/weight ratio of your weapons and using the TK. Moving the stuff around really isn't a problem with something like Tenser's Floating Disc or the various extradimentional spaces available.

This argument has been done to death. THAT is NOT a legitimate use of Telekinesis. Sorry.

bret

First Post
Anubis said:

This argument has been done to death. THAT is NOT a legitimate use of Telekinesis. Sorry.

I agree completely that this argument has been done to death. That all by itself makes it a problem spell.

Why do you say that Violent Thrust is not a legitimate use of TK? It is given right in the spell description. If I recall correctly, even using something like spears allows you to exceed the normal damage cap for spells. Making a better damage / weight ratio just causes the damage cap to be exceeded by a greater amount.

Simulacrum

First Post
The problem with Enlarge isnt really one:
The rules are pretty clear on that one:
You only get one size category larger if you Enlarge by 100%
That means that Enlarge can never really resize you!
Insted it enlarges you by a max of 50% thats why you get a few bonuses but none of the being "Large" handycaps.
Because you are not LARGE just a bit larger than normal.
-
Vica verca with Reduce

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I beg to differ. Cast it on a 6ft fighter, and he can become 9ft tall, which according to the MM would make him "Large" (8ft-16ft), and yet he doesn't actually become "large".

The spell doesn't follow the rules, and could have (should have) been redesigned for 3e in a way which worked with their smooth size category rules.

Cheers

Simulacrum

First Post
Yes its a bit fuzzy but the BIG rule is you only go up a category when your size (mass?) doubles, that means 100%
-
Can't tell ya why, but as a general rule that works for me. I stick to it.
-
Imagine that the Fighter gets 9feet tall, but still he is as flexible and dexterious as he was before.
Even more his body proportions dont adjust as it would be the case with giants. Big humans wouldn't be as effective as Giants.
They share the Humanoid form but not the evolutionary benefits/drawbacks of their bodies.
-
<>

Remove ads