• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are these things?

Rhun

First Post
I think a druid with a major-fey bloodline riding a Nightmare, and with Shadow Mastiffs for the hounds would be a good fit for the Wild Hunt.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The Master of the Wild Hunt and Hounds of the Wild Hunt appear in MMV. Also, there are versions in the EN World Creature Catalog (3e here, 3.5e Master of the Wild Hunt and Hounds of the Wild Hunt. There's also a Wild Hunter in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits (errata version here). Finally, there is a Birthright version that I think is coming up for conversion in the Creature Catalog sometime soon.

(All this from Echohawk's massive monster index.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
At the Creature Catalog, here - though the CR is a tad high. :\

MMV (Monster Manual 5, that is) apparently has stats for it/them, too. No idea what the CR is, however.

I think there are couple of others. . . I'll have a look through some of my stuff. . .

I have MM5, but I haven't read it all the way through or remembered that. I'll have to take a look later. Anyone remember which book has updated yeth hounds, or what CR they are?

EDIT: Nevermind. SRD creature. D'oh.

EDIT EDIT: D'oh! Just looked at the monster index on Wizards' site and they say the Master of the Hunt is a CR 22 fey, and his hounds are CR 18 alone. Way too high for my purposes. That's even worse than my original idea of making the Master of the Feast from Monsternomicon 2 stand in for him.

The hunt for suitable stats continues! Maybe I should create a basic fey humanoid racial baseline, give him 6-7 or so levels of ranger, and then just slap a few special abilities on him as needed. I guess if I don't find anything in a book that I own, I can always just do that.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Oh, freyar's post had the answer there too; the Demonweb Pits version, which is even online. It's a bit on the high side of my CR range, but I can just tone down the tactics and not use all of it's abilities if I need to.

Thanks, freyar!

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
CR 7-9 Fey hunter? Heh, heh...

Nymph Ranger 2 (archery path)
Medium Fey, CR 8
Hit Dice: 6d6 +2d8 +16
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 22 (+3 Dex, +5 armor, +4 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+7
Attack (bow): +11 (1d6+2, 20/x3)
Full Attack (bow): +9/+9 (1d6 +2, 20/x3)
Attack (lance charge): +11 (3d8 +9, 20/x3)
Attack (lance): +9 (1d8 +3, 20/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blinding beauty, spells, spell-like abilities, stunning glance (DC 18)
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, low-light vision, unearthly grace, wild empathy, aura of bless (30 ft.: +1 morale bonus to attack rolls, immunity to Fear effects)
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +15, Will +12
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 18
Skills: Ride +14, (do the rest yourself)
Feats: [Track], [Rapid Shot], Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge

Spells (DC 12 + level):
1st— (x5) entangle, faerie fire
2nd— (x4) chill metal, creeping cold (SC), briar web (SC)
3rd— (x2) call lightning, spike growth, hypothermia (SC)
4th— (x1) spike stones, langour (SC)

Loot: MW Composite Shortbow (Str +2), 50 MW arrows, MW Dragonhide Breastplate, Lance +1, Horned Mask of the Wyld Hunt (+2 Str, +2 Con, may make Survival checks to track with no penalty for moving full speed or being mounted, aura of bless).

Her mask prevents her from using her Blinding Beauty ability, but her Stunning Glance works fine.

- - -

For a CR 9 challenge, give her two more Ranger levels, or two Fighter levels, or even two Barbarian levels.

For the dogs, you could just use regular Wolves (or Horrid Wolves) and call them Fey Hounds or whatever. They get one attack, they move fast, they're of the Animal type... their Trip attack is just gravy.

Cheers, -- N

That's pretty Nifft-y too. heh-heh.

I'll print off that plus the Errata'ed Demonweb Pits versions side by side and see which one works best for my campaign.

Thanks, all!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hobo said:
EDIT EDIT EDIT: Oh, freyar's post had the answer there too; the Demonweb Pits version, which is even online. It's a bit on the high side of my CR range, but I can just tone down the tactics and not use all of it's abilities if I need to.

Thanks, freyar!

You're very welcome, though Echohawk should really get the credit. Glad something was the right CR in there...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads