What are you currently playing?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My buddy is running a great homebrew world 5e game, where we are chasing the trail of a necromancer-recently-turned-lich, and a criminal organization that seems to be selling captured people to necromancers as experiment/undeadification fodder.

I'm still running a FR game that began in 4e, and is now a level 12 5e game. The team is currently stuck in Abeir, chasing rumors of planeswalking tech, and gods long lost to Faerun, possibly reborn on this strange world.

Occassionally, I also run an Eberron game that recently hit 6th level. The group has earned a townhouse base in Sharn, and has stumbled upon the threads of a conspiracy between agents of the Emerald Claw, rogue dragons, and excoriated members of the 12 Houses.

Lastly, I'm about to dive back into playtesting my own game, Quest For Chevar. The playtest will focus on the Modern Era, in a campaign called Signs and Portends, set primarily in the Central Californian town of Bakersfield. Demon cults, ghosts, vampires, mad werewolves, angry land spirits, and the first steps on the trail to the 9 World, Chevar, await the semi-rotating cast of Rangers.

pemerton

Legend
I play in the same group but moving between a few different games depending on mood, who turns up, etc.

Our most recent session was Classic Traveller, and hopefully we'll get in the next session of this next weekend.

We have an active Prince Valiant game, where the PCs knights are about to take ship for Byzantium.

We also have an active Cortex+ Heroic Fantasy game (no write-ups I can find past the first session), viking-themed with the players probably one or two sessions aay from finding out whether or not they can stop the Ragnarok.

We also have a 30th level core 4e game, a 1st level 4e Dark Sun game, and a Marvel Heroic RPG game that are still alive, but on hiatus due to issues of available time and available personnel.

One-shots we've played relatively recently have included Cthulhu Dark and A Penny for My Thoughts (Cthulhu variant).

ccs

41st lv DM
As a player:
5e - 3 sessions into Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Started it at 4th lv after playing TftYP (Sunless Citadel).

PF (1e) - Ruins of Azlant. On hiatus. :(
We'd just hit lv 3 in book 1 when the DM suddenly needed a break. He cited work & home stress. But the groups pretty sure we know the real problem. He's not a very good DM on anything but combat encounters & was finding RPing (even marginally) an entire colonies worth of NPCs very daunting.

A mix of board games, WWII miniatures, & Warhammer miniatures (both 40k & fantasy/AoS) depending upon the week/day/people.

As the DM:
5e - just finishing ToA this coming week. Probably about 1/2 the session to find the actual exit & wrap up. Then we'll immediately have session zero & roll stats for the all new campaign that starts on the 21st/28th. :)

PF 1e - You know that Ruins of Azlant campaign I said was on hiatus? Hey, guess who's the got the role of "Temporary DM"?
I got the job because the guy who's actually up next in the rotation (there's 3 of us that rotate DMing in this group) is nowhere near prepared to run anything. And he's terrible at whipping something up on short notice.
I on the other hand, am not.
So. Last week, with barely 3 months of decompression from running an almost two year lv1-16 PF campaign, I'm given 5.5 hours of notice that I need to DM "for a while"....

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Running a Dungeon of the Mad Mage campaign every Sunday.

Playing a fair amount of Rangers of Shadow Deep. The rules are by the same guy who did FrostGrave. It is unusual for a fantasy skirmish game because it is cooperative and supports 1-4 players. Solo play works out very well.

Contemplating running a monthly Call of Cthulhu game, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

Playing in a 5e D&D campaign that meets about once every three weeks or so.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Currently between games. Just finished up a D&D 5e Campaign Arc that was a lot of rollicking fun.

Now that I have the kickstarter stuff from The Expanse RPG the plan is to do something different and non-fantasy related for a bit.

For those interested the 5e Campaign Premise: During Lost Mines, two dwarf cousins (Chaotic) and a tiefling priest (Lawful) argued over whether or not to kill one of the Red Cloaks. Dwarfs kept killing him, tiefling kept stabilizing him with "Spare the Dying." After about 10 or 15 times of this, I had an idea of all this Almost Dead, Not Dead shenanigans turning him into a Revenant. (I know, I know, not canon, but Hey!).

What followed was many adventures where the two dwarfs tried desperately to upset the Revenant's plans and throw him down before he managed to kill them and drag the world down into blood and darkness.

So while it might seem on the surface to be another "Save the World!!1!" campaign, it was really a "Save our Asses!!1!" campaign. So much chaos and fun.

I'm playing in a Dungeon Fantasy RPG (DFRPG) game as an animist shaman who can speak to spirits (or at least thinks he can).

I'm GMing a DFRPG game where we just wrapped up a long adventure (Mirror of the Fire Demon). I'm thinking of launching a new campaign with the same players (optionally new PCs) in Douglas Cole's Norðlond setting, using either Hall of Judgment or the forthcoming (hopefully) Citadel at Norðvorn. Alternately, I may run a few mini-adventures with this group and wait to launch Norðlond next winter. (Minnesota winter seems like an appropriate time to play some Viking barbarians on skis.)

I'm also running two DFRPG games for my children and their friends, plus one D&D 5e Phandelver game.

At school, I regularly run introductory DFRPG adventures at our RPG club and advise budding game masters.

steenan

Adventurer
I'm playing in a fantasy Fate campaign, ran by my wife. We'll finish it quite soon, although I don't know how many sessions it will take to wrap it up. My character is a prophet, re-igniting the cult of an elven god that wants to return to previous power and influence. It's very fun to play a person who have never engaged in politics before and is now completely in over his head.

I also ran a few days ago the first session of an Urban Shadows adventure, "Shadows over Copenhagen", for a group of my co-workers. It's a part of a series of adventures I run to introduce people to RPGs, each with a different game (earlier games included Mouse Guard, Dogs in the Vineyard, Nobilis, Capes and a few others).

J.M

Explorer
We're playing ELEMENTAL every 6 weeks of so. While it would be nice to play more often, the lower frequency means that each session feels like an "event" that everyone looks forward to. It also allows us to take turns GMing and experience different playstyles and stories.

And if I may interject a quick bit of self-promotion, we're running a pretty nice discount on the game until the end of the weekend. Nice to see so much variety in this thread!

Remove ads