• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you playing at the moment?

What Build do you play? (ignoring multiclass)

• Fighter

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Cleric

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Wizard

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Invoker

• Seeker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaman

• Hybrid

• Rogue

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Avenger

• Barbarian

• Druid

• Paladin

• Assassin

• Sorceror

• Artificer

• Ranger

• Warlock

• Bard

• Warlord

• Warden

• Ardent

• Monk

• Swordmage

• Battlemind

• Runepriest

• Essentials Build

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Other Standard Build (not included above)

• Other Custom Build (homebrew)

wlmartin

Explorer
I am currently playing a Minotaur Barbarian but will be soon moving over to an Elven Avenger (the Barbarian got a bit boring tbh).

I am curious as to what builds people play but more which builds people avoid. I rarely hear people talk about playing the Shaman or Seeker builds.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I am currently playing a Kalashtar Cleric of the Raven Queen (Group Mind Link w/Seer theme).

But I have enjoyed a Tiefling Paladin/Warlock.

I have the following builds made and am excited to eventually play them:

an Elven Rogue - Rapier Duelist ...
a Githzerai Seeker (multiclass Monk) - Zen Archer ...
a Half-Elf Artificer (mutliclass Mage w/ Versatile Master [Wizard at-will] and Staff Expertise] ) - Battle Wizard ...

Last edited:

Pour

First Post
Last played a Human Wizard (Mage; Enchanter School) named Jath Jal'janna after experiencing the promise and fun of a Human Mage (Evoker) via an Encounters pregen. I'm on a wizard kick right now, primarily because of Bruce Spence's Zeddicus Zul Zorander.

d2OKC

Explorer
I rarely hear people talk about playing the Shaman or Seeker builds.

My longest running character to date was a human shaman. He was loosely based on the Masai warriors from Kenya, so he used a longspear and wore almost no armor. Focused on lightning and thunder powers, and if we ever pick the campaign back up he'll be taking the stormcaller paragon path.

I was the secondary leader in my group (behind a cleric), so I mostly focused on zones and other bonuses for the group instead of healing. It was really a fun character to play, and was flexible enough to play defender, leader, or controller. Pretty fun.

-edited for spelling error

Mengu

First Post
This thread needs multiple choice. I currently play around 6 characters, gnome cosmic sorcerer, half-orc thaneborn barbarian, dwarf unity avenger, tiefling protecting paladin, goliath wrathful runepriest, elf hunter. Just ended a campaign at level 10 with a dragonborn warlord. I have around 4-5 more characters ready to go when I get a chance, a deva hybrid paladin|cleric MC Invoker, a githzerai monk (though I'm toying with a halfling or thri-kreen as race also), a half-orc executioner, an eladrin bladesinger, and an elf thief.

drothgery

First Post
Yeah, needs to be multiple choice. I don't have an active tabletop 4e character, but in LEB I've got a gnome swordmage and a human invoker; in other PBPs I have an elven ranger and human artificer.

My current character is Berend d'Cannith, a human wizard with the Tome of Readiness implement mastery and the Fading One line of boons. He is built as a controller with several cold spells (but no frostcheese) and just hit level 7. (Hellooo, Twist of Space! :D)

He's fun to play, both mechanically and as a character with a very unusual story (which grows even weirder as the story progresses).

That said, I prefer to play melee characters; the fighter is my favorite class since I began playing D&D with AD&D 2e.

As for avoiding stuff: the most underpowered/under-supported classes, broken/cheesy builds, and for long-term campaigns, Essentials classes that lack options compared to the AWEDU classes (e.g. knight, slayer).

Kinneus

Explorer
Can't partcipate in the poll, as I'm playing several characters right now and I'm having difficulty identifying a 'main' one. I play with a group that likes to rotate DMs. Currently playing:
-A level 21 Hybrid Swordmage/Artificer with the Archlich Epic Destiny. It's a Scales of War game, and we're taking a break until fall to give the DM time to recuperate.
-Our second game is a Dark Sun game, and we're a little short on players for this one, so I'm actually playing two characters. First is a level 11 Tiefling Pyromancer/Necromancer who just took the Master of Flame PP. The second is an Eladrin Hybrid Warlock/Swordmage who loaded up on teleportation powers and took the Evermeet Warlock PP (I'm half expecting the DM to ban him once he sees it in play... hello, at-will invisibility!) We just hit Paragon last week, and once again, we're taking a break as we shift tiers.
-Our third game's shitck is that we're playing as orcs, goblins, and other "evil" things, fighting off a human/elf/halfling general "forces of good" invasion. I don't think the intent was for us to play a straight-up evil party, but we as players certainly took it in that direction, heh. I'm playing a Dragonborn Paladin of Tiamat in that campaign. Just hit level 5.
-Our fourth game is something I've personally only a played a couple of sessions in. I'm playing a Deva named "Evekros, the Perfect Blade." He's a Hybrid Swordmage/Avenger that worships Corellon and represents his divine skill in swordplay. His mechanical gimmick is that he took the Power of Skill feat to turn Overwhelming Strike it an MBA, which means he now gets to use it with his Aegis of Assault mark violation. It's a cool little trick, but I honestly feel like at this point that the Swordmage half of his hybrid might be dead weight.

Overall, I really like playing Swordmages. Of the characters I'm playing, I most enjoy the Swordmage/Artificer and the Tiefling Mage. Swordmage/Artificer is a little bland personality-wise (this was by design: I was joining the group mid-camaign, so I avoided giving him any real backstory so as to better fit in with whatever the DM wanted to do). The Tiefling Mage is a lot of fun both mechanically and RP-wise... having a lot of fun as a conniving templar of Draj. Gonna miss playing him every week for a while.

Remove ads